Just need to vent....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just need to vent....

I haven't had much time to play with the saw lately, as we've been putting in a lot of hours at work the last few months and by the time I get home and get things done around the house and get some dinner, it's late and I'm tired.
    Today I finally had some time, so I started cutting one of JZ's cheetah patterns that I've been wanting to do, after about 4 hours of working on it, 2 of the little blades of grass on the bottom of the portrait broke off! I found them and I'm hoping they can be glued back on, but it's a little frustrating to say the least.

I was going to start Kevin's "Midnight Serenity" pattern tomorrow, hopefully I won't hack that one up too, that's a really cool pattern.
    Sorry for the whining, there's just no one here to yell at at the moment.
    Joel

Joel, I know how you feel buddy. Myself and I'm sure many others here go through that from time to time. Don't feel alone with it. You did good writing about it here. I hope it helped you feel a little better. David
    My grandbabies are what keep me going

Comment

I haven't attempted one of JZ's patterns for that reason; too detailed. It only takes a small slip in concentration and your p_ssed. I figure I need more experience so I stick to simpler patterns to gain confidence and skill. Stick with it and mistakes will become fewer and fewer.
      Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
      Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Been there, done that. Yes, it's frustrating but it's not the end. Get back in the saddle and give it another shot. After having this happen a couple times, I proceeded to modify the pattern a little to remedy the trouble spots. There is no law on the books that says you can't make changes to a pattern before or while cutting. If it appears to be too narrow a gate, chances are, you can make it a little wider with none the wiser.

Good luck.
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I have changed the pattern more than once. Every time you get ready to thread the blade into a new hole, plan your cut. More times than I should admit two blades of grass became one, or the space between whiskers became wider. The funny part of this, most of the time the only person, besides you of course, who would notice this would be the designer and I have not heard very many, if any, come back to say "Ah ha gotcha, you coward"
          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Joel, just remember, glue is a scroller's best friend. What I don't like is a small piece breaking off and I can't find it.I believe anyone that scrolls has had the same problem. I have cut 3 of Jeff's patterns and they are challenging.
            Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

You Don't need No stinking grass
              Just kidding, just remmeber the end result is YOUR interpretation of the pattern.
              Having done some of Jeff Z's stuff I do it in increments. I do a few quick projects here and ther just to get away from total concentration now and then.
              Remmember this is supposed to be fun.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Walker
                I have cut 3 of Jeff's patterns and they are challenging.
                I have cut just one of his, and that was one of the easier ones. Personally, I prefer to cut Charles Dearing's. His are good and much less stressful.
                Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Joel, Ive cut both of them and the very last thing you should cut on them is the grassy area good on on the gluing hope it works.Jerry
                  Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm a lot calmer now, it was just a little maddening to see those little pieces hit the floor after the project was 90% finished. I understand that those things are going to happen, I just don't like to see it happen.

For some reason, I'm very drawn to the really detailed patterns. I have a personality type that wants to jump right in with both feet and try to tackle the more difficult things before I probably should. People have been telling me for as long as I can remember, you have to walk before you run, but it never seems to sink in.

I like Rolf's suggestion of doing them in increments instead of trying to do it all at once. If it isn't fun, what's the point, right?
                    Joel

Comment

If I recall correctly, I believe that Jeff says that patterns are really suggestions. That makes it much easier to think of design oportunities (as I like to call them)! Of course, I am no where nearly comfortable enough with my skill to even try one yet.
                      Cathy
                      Cathy

Comment

I make all of my patterns for my marquetry, and I usually will change something, or ever delete large areas in favor of a wood that fits the area really well. The pattern is always just a guide. Any time you see a grain pattern that runs a little (or even a lot) differently than the pattern, go ahead and work with the grain. The piece will be better for doing so, at least in most cases. This is where you must trust your artist's eye to tell you what looks good. Know that many people probably won't notice what you did, unless they also work with wood in this way, but they will feel it.

Tor
                        I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
                        - Thomas Jefferson

Garden Island Marqueteur
                        http://www.fineartmarquetry.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Reply to Phone call from son.
                          by will8989
                          Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                          Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                        • garryatpa
                          Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                          by garryatpa
                          Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                          Yesterday, 10:43 PM
                        • meflick
                          Reply to Phone call from son.
                          by meflick
                          Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                          Yesterday, 01:10 PM
                        • meflick
                          Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                          by meflick
                          Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                          Yesterday, 01:04 PM
                        • John Smith
                          Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                          by John Smith
                          Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                          HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                          Yesterday, 10:01 AM
                        Working...
                        X