Too Close For Comfort.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Close For Comfort.

I didn't go to the craft sale in Creston this morning. We had a tornado last night. Power went off at 6.00PM last night and just now came back on. Tornado's are unheard of in these mountain pass's . It blocked the road with trees across the highway and all over telephone and power lines just around the corner from where I live in Wynndel. Wiped out a few dairy farmers barns down in the flats and took a lot of the roof off the Police station in Creston and a lot of damage to the mayors house . Saw one car crushed under a huge tree. Only a couple minor injuries to people and it missed our property completely. It came through just one bend around highway 3a from us .
    Too close for comfort but we're OK. Just a bit north and it could have wiped us out.
    W.Y.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Mother Nature can be a bit scary! Glad to hear everything is alright and no one was seriously injured.
    Joel

Comment

Geez Bill, how scary is that. I'm happy everything is ok with you and the wife. The weather has sure been strange the last few years. We no longer know what to expect.
      Once again I'm real happy everything is ok
      Marsha
      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

I am glad that it missed you......they can be scary...we had one go through Edmonton in 1987....I know that was 20 years ago but when it is something that is very rare you remember it.......Still makes me sit up and take notice when it gets really hot and muggy......Jayne
        Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is. ~Francis Bacon

Comment

Glad to hear everything is ok.Jerry
          Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Good to hear that it missed you Bill.
            Around here we get a lot of tornado warnings, you never get use to them, scary.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I also had a craft sale scheduled for tomorrow (Sunday) in Yahk, BC about 35 miles from home. It is a very busy holiday long weekend here and both the Creston and Yahk sales would have been good ones . It has been cancelled because they have no power and don't expect any for several days. So this one ripped through a lot bigger path than previously thought.
              I am surprised I still have internet. I went to town this morning and there are broken telephone poles with trees pushing the phone lines right to the ground but obviosly no broken lines because my high speed service works on a fiber optics line that is supplied from Creston to Wynndel. The crews are working on areas that have no hydro or phones before clearing up areas that still have service.
              W.Y.
              http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I'm glad you guys are ok! We never had a tornado, just a hurricane rip through 3 years ago, Isabel, and I swore a train was steaming through the house!! The noise is unbearable and it scarred the hell out of me!! I'll keep your towns in my thoughts.

Betty
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I'm glad all you got was a scare, Bill. We have tornados perodically here and the potential for disaster is immense. Sometimes you get lucky and miss the bullet, othertimes not. Thoughts and prayers to you and your community.
                  Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                  Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Tornados are the main reason I left Kansas to come back to Oregon. Of course the other reason was the horizan. Oregon has one. But there were way to many close calls in Kansas and I got tired of it, so I came home as soon as I could .
                    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Pleased it missed your place Bill. They really are scary. We don't have a lot in NZ but a couple have hit my home town and area in the past with an uncanny ressemblance.

Tornado 1: Several years ago one took out the corner of my brother's house and the room where my late nephew, who had mucular dystrophy, normally slept - he had gone into another room that night so was sparred. A few houses down the road lived one of my sisters whose house was not touched.

Tornado 2: Just a couple of years ago my niece's farm house was hit (she is a twin to my late nephew in the first tornado). The bedroom where her son normally slept was taken out -he had not been in there at that time. He also suffers from muscular dystrophy. My sister who lived three doors away in the above one had a daughter living three farms down the road in this tornado and her place was not touched!

We found the coincidences amazing!
                      Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rodney Brown
                        Reply to Mechanical Heart
                        by Rodney Brown
                        Great job, Brad. Thanks for posting a pic. Alex Fox has some great patterns.
                        Today, 03:03 PM
                      • garryatpa
                        Reply to What should I use?
                        by garryatpa
                        I use water based varathane to finish my white birch. The water based finish does not seem to change the white color of the birch whereas if I use a varathene oil based finish the wood turns what I call a honey color.
                        Garry
                        Today, 03:02 PM
                      • Rodney Brown
                        Reply to Greetings again...
                        by Rodney Brown
                        Welcome back Brad. Don't forget, ask question if you have them. The amount of knowledge on this forum is unbelievable.
                        Today, 02:58 PM
                      • bstark
                        Reply to Wisconsin
                        by bstark
                        I just got back from a trip to Wisconsin (Cumberland). Mother and Father-in-law were from there. I never met my father-in-law as he passed before I was married, but I saw all his woodworking and carvings. It was part of the reason I got into woodworking... seeing those family treasures and wanting to...
                        Today, 02:30 PM
                      • bstark
                        Mechanical Heart
                        by bstark
                        This is the first compound thing I have ever cut on a scrollsaw. I see a lot of pieces like this that are just laser cut, but what is the fun of that! =) I also purchased the mechanical horse and butterfly patterns. In hindsight, I should have stack cut this because 1/4 inch plywood isn't the easiest...
                        Today, 02:14 PM
                      Working...
                      X