Inexpensive Sharpening Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive Sharpening Machine

Sometime back I purchased a Utility Sharpener from Sears. It runs at a low speed, goes through water on the bottom, and does a fine job of rough sharpening for carving tools -- the only thing I have used mine for. Sometimes it helps me get a good edge when nothing else seems to help. (You can come very close to carving with it.)

It cost less than $30. I think I got mine on sale for less than $20. The only thing is that I haven't found any grits other than the one that came on the machine.

Once when I was in Santa Fe, I had the honor to visit a professional carver. When I asked him how he sharpeened his tools, he turned first to a sharpener just like the one to which I refer.

I like mine and use it a lot. You don't have to worry about burning the tool.

Re: Inexpensive Sharpening Machine

Woodenleg,I agree,I have been using mine for a number of years and love it.Mind you,I still use a ceramic stone as well,seems to give the blade that little extra kick.

Comment

Great minds think alike! I have one of those, too, for the same reason everyone else has one. However, the instruction caution you to change the stone when it wears down and for the life of me, I cannot find a way into the guts of this thing. Not that it really matters, Sears doesn't carry replacement stones anyway. But while it lasts, I will use it. I found it very handy to regrind the bevels on a set of Sorby Micro-chisels I bought about 2 years ago. They were all ground for hardwood and I recut the bevels to work better on soft wood. I made a tool holder out of a piece ot 1' aluminum angle and ground a U-shaped groove in the center to put the tool through to maintain a consisten bevel angle.

Comment

Boy, I sure wish I had the 'tool savvy' you all seem to have. I'm still trying to figure out what 'sharp' really is. Stuck here in my little hole, I haven't been able to get to anyone who can show me the 'how-to's' yet...but I will!!

Teri
        "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

By the way, I was roaming through Home Depot today and noticed that Delta has a sharpener that is almost identical to the one I mentioned earlier. I think it was $39.

I haven't figured out how to get on the inside of my sears unit either, but I'll bet the Delta draws a picture and gives a phone number for ordering replacement parts.

If I can't fix the Sears unit when it wears down, I will take it back to Sears for a replacement. :-/

Comment

Sure wish I'd have read this before I spent my Christmas gift certificate on the $169 sharpener (Delta) and extra buffer grinder too! Now I'll have to check this one out too and my wife's gonna kill me if I keep bringing home sharpening stuff. :-/ Well, ya gotta have sharp tools, huh?

Thanx for posting the info,
            Brian

Comment

I have the same machine. My model number is 319.190710. If yours is the same, the following link will take you the parts sheet for this at sears. They do sell a replacement wheel part number 1907115 15. Hope this helps.
              http://www3.sears.com/promo/carrier/carrier.html
              Cheers
              Ric

Comment

That's amazing Ric! Thanks for taking the time to supply this.

Comment

Sorry about the link...that wont get you to the parts order for this model. Go to Sears.com, go to parts, type in model number, hit continue, type in part number, hit continue, and you should be there. This link should get you a parts diagram http://www3.sears.com/imaging/ImageP...eID=00001& (I think)
                  Cheers
                  Ric

Comment

Ok, now you are going to make power sharpening cheap AND easy??? I'm almost tempted. ..........nawwwww, I still love the feel and sound of a blade being worked on a stone. Guess after 30 years it's in my blood.

Is this rig big enough for hatchets, mower blades, etc.? I HATE file work. LOL

BTW I updated my pages and added a gallery. Oppinions, advice, ideas, and criticism welcome.

Good whittlin, Cliff
                    Charles City, Iowa
                    http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

You have a great website Cliff. Lots of neat stupp and tips there. Thanks!

Bob

Comment

Sorry about the spelling error on the above post. Should have reviewed my post.

Bob

Comment

Thanks again, Ric.

Clifford. Great site. Thanks a lot. By the way, it doesn't eliminate the use of stones. It's there for the heavy duty stuff. I never could figure out why grinders are set at such a high speed that they burn knife blades. This one goes at a slow speed and is bathed in water. At a minimum, they should be variable speed. This unit lists its uses as mower blades, scissors, etc. Problem is the wife will have you sharpening tools that have never been sharpened. It's a great little tool. I hate moving the heel of a gouge back by hand and I like to keep mine at about 1/2 inch, since I work almost solely with basswood.

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Cliff - thanks for letting us see your sticks. Actually you previously inspired me to try carving a stick, which is something I have never done before. I had fun looking in the woods behind my house for a likely candidate, and found four sticks that will due just nicely. Your tips on your site helped. While I was seeking out the sticks, I wondered how many fine walking sticks I have popped in the shredder over the years.
                              Cheers
                              Ric

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X