Glue up for 4 foot giraffe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue up for 4 foot giraffe

How would I go about getting enough wood if I wanted to make a four foot giraffe? I suppose I would need to glue up some wood of various kinds. Any idea of how I would do that and where I would get the glue? I would like to use basswood.

Re: Glue up for 4 foot giraffe

Having never done anything that size I think I'd start by checking out some to the carousel carving sources. I seem to remember that WCI had an article or two on carousel carving and I'm sure there are books available. Once you figure out how the glue ups are done almost any of the major basswood suppliers should be able to give you what you need. Off the top of my head, actually note book, Heinecke Wood Products (715)822 8642.

Hope that helps.

Ed

Comment

YaBBa DaBBa Do !!

Comment

Wow, I'm just totally impressed with all you guys taking on such big carvings. If I can't hold it in my hand, I don't want to carve it.

Someday, maybe, when I really learn to carve.

Teri
        "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the great information guys! I never thought of building a frame and then going from there. That opens up all kinds of avenues.

Teri, I did some carving with a mallet and gouges and it was a real blast. The thing I like about is that it is easy to do and can be done very precisely -- exactly the opposite of what I expected. In addition, with both hands on the gouge, I am less likely to cut off my hand. Cheers.

Comment

I just posted a pic of a rocking rabbit I did a few years ago from a glue up. I found a 6x12 beam at the local lumber co. that had been sitting there for several years, taking up space. Had it planed at the high school shop and glued it into a 12x12x48.

Check around for old beams, they are (can be) good for carving.

This one was a 16 foot white pine beam, that I managed to get for $.50 a board foot because they didn't know what to do with it. Once in a while ya luck out!

I did a large carosell style frog from that same beam, but can't find a pic of it right now

Al

Comment

Al, that rocking rabbit is TOTALLY cool. Very nice job!!!

Teri
              "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Comment

Al - the rabbit and frog ROCK!!
                    Incredible examples of workmanship and creativity.

Comment

Nancy, I thought you were more observant,,,,,,,,the rabbbit rocks, but the frog just sits there!

Thanks for the compliments folks, these were fun to do; repainting is NOT fun.

Al

Comment

Great work Al!! Love the rabbit!!

Good whittlin, Cliff
                        Charles City, Iowa
                        http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

Every time I see this thread, I think it says 'give up on 4 foot giraffe' and have to do a double-take. :

Al, YOU rock !

Teri

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing the giiraff.. Woodenleg, when you get done PLEASE post it. In fact if you'll do a series on the glue ups and planning, that would also be great.

Al

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                                by will8989
                                Our feed belt keeps moving but Bruce did adjust it the other day when I was done and this is the first time I’ve used it. It kept getting louder so I bet that’s it or it just isn’t tight. Will check it in the morning. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 11:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
                                I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
                                Yesterday, 03:30 PM
                              • Bill Wilson
                                Reply to Winter issue
                                by Bill Wilson
                                I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
                                Yesterday, 02:49 PM
                              • Bill Wilson
                                by Bill Wilson
                                Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
                                Yesterday, 02:13 PM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                                Yesterday, 01:57 PM
                              Working...
                              X