Homemade Dust Collector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Dust Collector

I just got a new Power Carver for my birthday and want to use it indoors (baby it's cold outside !)
    I have built a dust collector that was featured in the Fall 2000 issue of Wood Carving Illustrated. It is basically four furnace filters with a fan on top..
    I have only used it once and it seems to work fairly well.
    Has anybody tried using this type of filter. Any suggestions on its use? Is there a better way to go ?
    Old_Fred

Re: Homemade Dust Collector

Your furnace filters are fine, although, some of the dust still goes through. You may want to try slicing up some cheap vacuum cleaner bags and stretch over the filters.

Comment

Great Idea about using vac filters ! I never thought of that !
      My wifes gonna hate it tho !!
      Thanks for the idea !!
      ol' fred

Comment

I've ben power carving for over five years, my shop is in my basment. I developed a system that blowes the dust and small chips out into my back yard. If you will send me your mailing adress I will be glad to send you the drawings for it. The system is quite and is very efective. There is no charge for the drawings.

Comment

Go with the dust collector that dumps outside.You are generally,collecting the 'large' particles in the filters or bags,and letting the very small ones escape back into the room..These are the ones that will kill you.Being small,they can settle deep in your lungs and do damage.If you can't dump outside,wear a good respirator in addition to the dust collector..Remember that the wood you use has survived for many millions of years,in many cases by developing poisons.Walnut is a good example,the shavings ,and wood dust can kill horses,so don't use it for bedding.I've seen one gal with arms the size of legs,looking like terminal zits,from Walnut dust.So,get it all up and out,take advantage of those free plans

Comment

If you have read some of the Power Carving Magazines from WCI, they also suggest an air cleaner like that made by Jet or some other brand to remove the fine particles that remain suspended in the air. This is in addition to your initial dust collector.

Hope this helps.

Comment

'Electrostatic' filters do an excellent job, but tend to be pricey. An alternative is a filter cover (for the furnace-type filters) made from a diaper bag. The material in the diaper bags is pourus enough to allow the air flow thru, but will capture the finer dust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X