Whittlin' knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whittlin' knives

Can any one offer any suggestions for a good set of carving knives? I'm looking to purchase a set, but I really don't know where to go to find the best quality blades, etc. I would say I'm looking at a beginner to intermediate level, but I want to know if there is something to start with that will be a good set even for an advanced whittler.

Re: Whittlin' knives

Hi WoodChuckChuck,

I own and like both Murphy bench knives and Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers detail knives. Both of these are good steel, hold an edge quite well, and are inexpensive at around $10 for the Murphy and $15 for the Smoky Mountain. Flexcut also makes knives in the $20 range that are also good quality for the buck.

You will also need to have a way of sharpening your knives. I prefer a hard arkansas stone for honing and a leather covered strop board for stropping/finishing.

Most suppliers will sharpen your knives if requested on ordering. Some charge a nominal fee and others do it free.

Good whittlin, Cliff
    Charles City, Iowa
    http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

Ya, to what cliff said; especially about sharpening. Rick Ferry from this site is a good source of fine cuttlery, and he will not steer you wrong. Not meaning to short Rick, here, at all, but I just got a 12 piece set of 'Whittlin Jack' carving knives and tools from Mountain Home Crafters. (maybe Rick could get those for you, too) Got them because I like the size (large) of the handles and blades, but have found that they came sharpened to a pretty good edge, required a little honing prior to use and sold for 70 bucks for the set. The set comes with a balistic nylon carrying case, too. It was on sale and normally goes for around a hundred. One WJ benck knife goes for around 8bucks or so, like Murphys. Rick gave me a good tip when I ordered a buch of the Murphys from him for our local Scout camp. The small Murphy bench knife is a great size for young carvers, but they also make a larger one.

Re: the Whittlin Jacks; about 8 (maybe 9) of the set proved to be useful, and the other 3 or 4 were marginal as gouges and a saw??? I'l probably regrind that into a detailer.

Anyway I thought it was a pretty good set for the money, and gave quite a few differnt blades for different purposes.

Al

Comment

Chuck,
        Are you looking for a set of knives, or a set of carving tools?

A set of knives would be a Roughing knife, a carving knife, and a detail knife.
        Although some carvers can get by with two and some can carve with a single knife.
        A standard carving set might include: a chisel, skew, gouge, veiner, V-parting tool and some could include a second 'long-bent chisel or second gouge.

I normally wouldn't recommend a carver purchase a set, but if you have absolutely no tools, it can be the least expensive way to get started.

Example: the average 'common' palm tool is about $14.95 at most suppliers, whereas a set of 6 tools would cost around $31.00.
        Even if you did not use a couple of them much, it would still be a good value.

Comment

Everyone has an opinion and here is mine
          I have a murphy knife from Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers www.woodcarvers.com. It was my first carving knife. Mac Proffitt the owner will sharpen it for free if you ask. There is a lot of sharpening info on the web but you can't go wrong listening to Cliff. He has helped me get that RAZOR edge for my tools.
          The only other knives I have information about is the Ron Wells carving knife at www.ronwellswoodcarving.com. they are tough and maintain a great edge. Ron is another very helpful and friendly carver.
          Happy Carving,
          Don
          May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

Chucik - Check your e-mail

Ed

Comment

Don,

Thanks for yet another vote of confidence on my sharpening tips. I actually have recieved far more e-mails on my sharpening page than on my sticks and am working on updating the page to include a brief definition of sharpening terms (inspired by Teri's request on the sharpening post), some diagrams, and links to sharpening pages I have found helpful.

Good whittlin, Cliff
              Charles City, Iowa

Comment

Al,

I had considered the WJ knives also because of the bigger handles but had heard so many 'they are cheap japanese steel' remarks on other boards that I shied away. Thanks for the comments on them.

Good whittlin, Cliff
                Charles City, Iowa

Comment

Cliff, these WJ blades are NOT cheap steel; they are stainless steel and take a bit of work to get honed, but once they are, they are great. Only trouble is, they quit making the wood handles and have gone to a black rubber. I haven't decided if I like these as much as the wood ones yet. They are comfortable to hold, but like all synthetic handls, flex a bit when you pull hard on them, so there may be a bit of control loss there. Have to use them for a while to make a good judgement, but so far I like them just fine.

If you don't mind the stainless blades, and I kinda think that's a matter of prefernce, I'd recomend these as a strter bench set.

Al

Comment

Comment

Al,
                      The only Whittlin Jack I have used belonged to someone else, and it was too dull to evaluate. Just not impressed by stainless.

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X