Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oar Carver Pocket Knife

Al,

I checked out the Camilus but think that for my use a modified wharncliff like on the OAR and Case models is more useful than the spear as a main blade. I find that use the pen and sheepsfoot on my Imperial far more than the spear. I suppose I could reshape the spear and save $$ but you know how that goes.

Good whittlin, Cliff
    Charles City, Iowa
    http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

I talked to the rep. from Case yesterday about the 'seahorse whittler' concerning the metal used in the blades.
      Turns out to be a stainless, although I have seen it described as different materials on other sites.

Comment

Rick, maybe you can help me out here......just what's the beef with stainless blades? I've used and made knives with carbon steel, high speed steel and stainless. Other than stainless being a little more difficult to sharpen, I see very little difference in the performance. In fact I seem to prefer the stainless. It hones really nice, polishes to a non drag fininsh and holds an edge like a diamond. Once it has a good edge it is no more difficult to touch up and hone (strop) than any other steel, in my opinion. In spite of all this, I hear comments deriding it as a 'second rate' steel for blades.

Is there really a downside to the material that I'm not picking up on?

Thanks,

Al

Comment

Al,
          I really don't know the alloy you are using, but my experience with stainless is the bench knives from Europe.
          When ever I get one to sharpen, they are always in terrible condition. They take longer to sharpen, and I don't believe they hold an edge as well as high-carbon steel.

I understand there are some new stainless alloys being used.
          D2 was supposed to be a real improvement over the older alloys. Some companys are using 400 stainless which they say is great.

I wouldn't attempt to disuade you from using a stainless knife, but the only one I own is a Warther whittling knife from Ohio. (only because Ernest M. Warther and sons made it)

Comment

Speaking of Warthers; have you seen the railroad engines he has carved? they are absolutely the most remarkable carvings I have ever seen!

Got a chance a few years back to visit the factory and museum, and spent a most incredible day there. I'll get back again just to see the carvings.

And thanks for the input on the blades. I'm not in favor or out of favor with either type, just wondering if there was an actual difference.

Al

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X