High speed carving equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High speed carving equipment

???I am considering high speed carving equipment. Problem is that there are more out there now than just a couple years ago. Turbo carver, paragraver, foredom has a high speed turbine and several others. All are priced in the $295.00 to $595.00 range Does anyone have one of these or have an opinion about any of them. Ebay has a paragraver starting at $400.00. Pam : ??? : ??? : ???

Re: High speed carving equipment

Hi Pamela.
    You didn't saqy what type of carving you want to do. I have been power carving for eight years with a Dremel heavy duty flex shaft unit with foot speed control. This Dremel has a top RPM of 22,000. I have found too high a speed and you will burn the wood and that hard wood burns at a lower speed than soft. You can get a regular Dremel with a flex-shaft at any Lowe's or Homedepot for about $75.00 the top speed for it is 35,000 RPM. It will give you a feel for what the really high speed unit will do. You can use denal bits and burs with it as well. I don't think the super high speed units are for doing more than fine detail. Check around for a local power carving club and talk to some of the members.
    Jack D.

Comment

I want to do antler and horn carving and the units I am looking at carve at speeds between 300,000 and 450,000 rpms Supposedly, this reduces the bit from 'walking' on the carving and makes carving like drawing with a pencil. Pam

Comment

To keep the bit from walking hold the handpiece as you would a pen, useing light pressure to establish a line then come back and make it a little deeper. Another reason for walking is the bit is not runing true. If the bit is not runing true it will make a much wider cut than you want. To corect this, try loosing the chuck until you can just turn the bit, give it a quarter turn hand tighten and turn it back on at the lowest speed it will run. Place the open end of a wrench on the shank of the bit, hold it lightly with the tip of you finger on the other end of the wrench. If you feel any viberation its not runing true. stop and repeat the above until it runs true.
        I use a lot of dential bits and you can imagine what happens if the bit is not runing true. I some times have to take the collet out and clean it so it will seat properly in the shaft of the motor & the chuck nut. I hope this helps if not e-maile me and I will try to help you more.
        Jack D.

Comment

Pamela,

Dont forget to include the cost of dust collection equipmeent.
          I have found that it is not just the cost of the power carving equipment, but also the other items you will need. You also need room to store and use this equipment.

Beautiful work can be produced with this system. Find someone to teach you the tricks to make the process work with ease.

Good luck and happy carving

woody01

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X