Sharpening class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening class

I have a question for carvers who have trouble sharpening.
    This August I will be teaching a class on sharpening carving tools.

My question is what would you like to know about sharpening?

That may seem like a stupid question, but your answers would be appreciated.

Re: Sharpening class

I'll get first in line for this one. I wish I were going to BE at your class. So far in my short carving life, I haven't done much real sharpening at all. I'm just learning a bit about it, but I need:

[move]SHARPENING FOR DUMMIES 101[/move]

Explanations of the sharpening 'terms' thrown around by carvers - i.e., 'wire edge' 'hone' 'strop', etc.

There seems to be SO many ways to sharpen - about as many ways as there are carvers, I'm learning. How does one decide whose sharpening advice to follow, without going out and buying tons of stuff in order to following everyone's?

Clear, concise explanation of what a sharp chisel or gouge FEELS like...LOOKS like...what the cuts look like if you're sharp.

You know, silly simple stuff like that :-)

Teri (boy, when I learn to sharpen, then I'm going to REALLY learn to carve!!)
    "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

Free hand sharpening or power ? How to maintain the right angle on gouges ,Slips and stropping on gouges ,v tools ?Perhaps a comparison of different stone types and their uses-arkansas,diamond-ceramic,sand paper. And as Teri said an explanation of the terms we might find in other sharpening instructions.
      I have no problem with knife blades but I'm sure there are other swho would add them . Don

Comment

Thanks, those are things that I had not considered.
        That is the type of information I am looking for.
        I was preparing to start right in with some close-up technical instruction.

Comment

'V' tools, Rick! What relief angle for those dang things? + or -? and how do you keep the wings equal when sharpening?

These are a couple problem areas to deal with. and if you want to tell me the answers, feel free!

Al

Comment

Al, the process of sharpening a V-tool is easiest to explain by demonstration. I have tried here before with mixed results.
            Hmmm..... maybe if I had a chalkboard.

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Rick
                Have you given any thought to video taping your class and offering your tapes for sale? I would buy one for my library in a heartbeat. If not let me know when and where your class is and how I can attend.
                Cheers
                Rick

Comment

Rick: I would also be interested in a tape of your class, I am afairly competent woodworker who is interested n learning to carve. I know zilch aout sharpening carving tools. My sharpening consisted of buying a new blade. I see that this is not cost effective, and I need to learn to sharpen.

Thanks

stevefrfla

Comment

Hi Steve,

Even though there are plenty of sites, books, and tapes on sharpening, NOTHING beats learning one on one from someone who has sharp tools. I would suggest that you try to find a local carving club or someone in your area who can show you the proper techniques for sharpening and tell you what you need to buy.

Good whittlin, Cliff
                    Charles City, Iowa
                    http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

Thanks again to all of you.

Ric, All I know about the class is that it will be held in Oregon in August.

Comment

I have got to find a sharpening class. I'm obsessed with sharpening.

Going to a woodcarving show this weekend. Maybe they will have a class. I am sure hoping. I need to get back to carving.

Happy Carving,
                        Don
                        May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

Hey Cliff,

You are my sharpening hero! The valve lapping compound on a strop works like magic.

I now have the sharpest edge ever. This blade cuts through end grain like it was butter.

You da man Cliff!
                          May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

Glad I could help Don. Like I posted on another board, you learn some good things from old whittlers.

Good whittlin, Cliff
                            Charles City, Iowa
                            http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

Yup, Cliff, you ARE da man. This wonderful guy sent me an email for sharpening dummies...and now I am on my way (slowly, of course).

Now, Cliff, uh...um...er...uh...well...would you now come on over to my house and let me see it in action?? I'll make coffee :-)

Teri
                              "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X