Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandpaper

Re: Sandpaper

hey Dunc thanks for the report. I was curious how the grit holds up on the creased edge? Thanks,

Dave

Comment

From what I can tell, the grit holds up good on the crease. The main thing about the creases I noticed are that they are pretty resistant to perforation/tearing. I have found out since I posted the above that this stuff is apparently made from a premium grade aluminum oxide. Also, the paper is very flexible and resists tearing because it has some kind of fiber mixed in.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation, Duncan. I've been using 3M's Sandblaster paper - it wears better than others I've tried, but it sounds like you found a real gem at least worth taking a look at.

Thanks!

Teri
        "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Callynne, what is a pen sander? Is that anything like those spring loaded sanding stix?

This Norton 3X paper won't replace the sanding stix, I use those all the time and couldn't hardly work without them. However, I am just impressed by how long this stuff lasts, how it hardly clogs up and it's general toughness.

Comment

www.proxxon.comwww.mdiwoodcarvers.com

Comment

Thanks, Callynne, I will check it out. I am for anything that makes the dreaded sanding easier and/or more convenient.

Wolf

Comment

For Callynne

I checked out the Proxxon website and located that pen sander. I have a couple of questions in reference to it. Looking at the pix, it seems to be about the size of the Foredom hand piece. Is that correct? Also, these adapters, I am guessing that they are basically speed controls. Could find no info in this regard. Additionally, how are the sanding pens connected to the adapters? Is is a small electrical cord like the connection between the control box and a woodburning pen or is it some sort of a flex shaft?

I attempted to look this stuff up on the MDI Woodcarver site and was unable to find it. I punched up micro tools with no success and when I entered Micromot in the search box I got 'no result'. Could they have quit carrying this thing?

I am actually not planning on buying one right away as I just bought a new drill press and a laser guided hollowing system for the lathe so money is a little tight. However, this pen sander is something I have put on my 'to get' list when finances allow so I am just trying to get my info lined up now.

Comment

Comment

I think I will send off for the MDI catalog. One thing I forgot to ask you yesterday so I will ask now. Before you got your Proxxon, did you regularly use rotary sanders like the Dremel? If so, how would you rate the Proxxon in comparison? I used to do a lot of sanding with the Dremel (or it's brothers) but don't do much of that any more because it's hard to control. I find it almost impossible not to gauge the wood even with the fine grit drums. I do still use the rough grit drum for stock removal when the typhoon burrs won't do.

WK

PS Never thought you were affiliated with Proxxon. When I find a product I really like, I have a tendency to hype it, too. After all, that's how we find out about good stuff, right?

Comment

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                          Reply to Tough Decisions
                          by Bill Wilson
                          Well, unfortunately, I have also decided to let my subscription lapse. I've been debating it for the past couple years. It isn't so much the money, but it's more the disappointment when yet another issue has so little in it that really appeals to me. The final straw was this past Fall/Winter edition...
                          Today, 09:51 AM
                        • planeur
                          Reply to My covid angel
                          by planeur
                          Thanks to all !😀 Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
                          I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
                          Was it a good idea.....?...
                          Today, 09:45 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to My covid angel
                          by Rolf
                          Great designe! I would have gone a bit further than Linda, Scott and Gladefade I would cut it into more pieces to make shaping easier. Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the...
                          Today, 09:02 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Tough Decisions
                          by Rolf
                          The never ending dilemma. I only get two magazines SSWWC and Wood carving Illustrated. Even if I don't make something in every issue there is usually something in each one that I have never tried and that will either challenge or inspire me. Yes I know that I do test cutting for them and they have occasionally...
                          Today, 08:49 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to My covid angel
                          by NC Scroller
                          I would start by tracing your piece on a piece of 1/8" (3mm) material and then cut the back our such that it is a fraction smaller that your project. Then I would cut your piece into two pieces. I mean cut the angel from the cloud. I would then put the cloud on the 1.8" backer and then with...
                          Today, 07:27 AM
                        Working...
                        X