X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teri_Embrey
    replied
    Re: CYPRESS KNEES

Steve, the easiest way I know of cleaning the ones laying around your backyard is to boil them first. Makes the bark much easier to peel off.

Teri

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

YES I'VE HEARD THAT CLEANING THE KNEES ARE A CHORE. BUT BEING I LIVE IN LA. AND HAVE ALOT AROUND THE HOUSE. I JUST GET IN MY BOAT AND GO GET THEM. LET ME ADD I DO GET THE OK OF THE LAND OWNER FIRST. I'M NEW TO CARVING AND NEVER THOUGHT OF CARVING KNEES UNTIL I LOOKED AT SOME THE OTHER DAY. HAD THEM IN MY BACK YARD AND NEVER THOUGHT OF USEING THEM. THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I would recommend you acquire them already 'debarked' if at all possible. Even when dry, peeling the bark off is more effort than you would first believe. I have used a pressure washer to strip the bark off, it worked OK and didn't damage the knee but it got kinda messy!

If you need a source for kness try http://www.cypressknee.com/ or http://woodcarvers.com/default.asp

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_S
    replied

hat is correct lorax. Most of the shops sells the knees already cleaned. I made some lamps with carvings in them. Used cherry for a base and outlined the base of the knee but out 3inches. Beat heck out of a square base. Used tongueoil for protectant.
    Safe and happy carving.

Leave a comment:

• lorax
    replied

put a bandaid on them :P :P :P :P

Sorry just kidding. If they are dry then I think you can just peel the bark off.

Leave a comment:

• STEVE
    started a topic CYPRESS KNEES

CYPRESS KNEES

WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO THE RAW KNEES BEFORE CARVING. ??? ??? ???

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
    Reply to My beauties
    by will8989
    He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap...
    Today, 10:55 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
    by Rolf
    Like Bob said clamp a straight edge to the table and adjust it to compensate for the blade drift. There are some blades that have no or very little drift. Like the Olson PGT series it also seems to me that the Pegas MGT 3 or larger cut very straight....
    Today, 07:54 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to My beauties
    by Rolf
    I now you do beautiful work but I have to say your attention to details on these baskets is impressive. soft smooth edges, no visible glue squeeze out. And of course the cutting boards are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce cut a spline in the end of the board and then dowels. I have not seen that...
    Today, 07:49 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to My beauties
    by NC Scroller
    You are one busy lady. About how long does it take to cut one?
    Today, 05:51 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to Hegner Multimax-18 for sale Tucson
    by NC Scroller
    Good luck.
    Today, 05:47 AM
Working...
X