X-acto and disposable blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-acto and disposable blades

I have been carving for a while now. I am self-taught and carved mostly saints in a folk way. With time I grew increasingly tired of sharpening to the point I try Power carving (does not do it for me, maybe for details). Anyway Right now what I have been doing is buying X-acto blades and carving with them. Once they are dull I dispose them. Well I might try to hone them before I do so.
    Do I have salvation? Is my soul lost to the lazyness of not having to sharp? I think I have never been properly trained or have enough patient shaeprning and honing.
    Please Help

???

Re: X-acto and disposable blades

X-acto knives are standard equipment in our carving group. We use the #11 blade for a lot of detail carving, and even some rougher work in tight places. We save some of the worn blades to mix glue, etc, but we buy them by the 100's and don't even try to re-sharpen them. We usually snap a point before they're too dull to use, so sharpening is kind of a moot point (no pun intended, of course). We all started with regular carving knives, mostly Helvies, but just about everyone added X-acto's early on. I still do most of my carving with my knife, but there's always a time and place for my X-acto, such as out-lining feathers on a song-bird.

Comment

When I first started carving, the only thing I had to carve with was a plain old box cutter utility razor knife. I used it for probably a year before getting a carving knife, and I really liked the way it worked. I still use it frequently for harder woods (I used it on my recent osage orange carving a lot) I strop the blades a few times before discarding them, but I don't think I have tried to sharpen them any other way. I think the razor does some things better than any carving blade I have.
      Use whatever works!

Donna
      Indiana USA&&http://pyrogite.tripod.com

Comment

Thanks for the advise.
        I have some friend-carvers that think I am a cheater for using disposable blades but I must say X-acto Blades do work for me. I do use a carving knive for the rough start. Of the X-actoI use blades # 22,19 and 18 but the one that works the best for me is the # 2 is like #11 but wider and stronger. Well I do not feel too bad now about using disposable blades.
        It is a pain having to stop carving because your knive is going dull and you have to strop it.
        Hey guys please check me website...
        www.santosdepalo.freeservers.com
        There you can see my carvings and why I do what I do

El Santero Exiliado

Comment

In regards to the use of exacto blades,all I can say is'use whatever works for you'.To me there is no right or wrong tool form.I use exacto,power,knife,chisle,whatever I need to use to get the job done to my satisfaction.I checked out your web site,fantastic work.Keep up your tradition and do honour to your saints.
          Mark

Comment

Doel,
            Those are nice carvings. Use whatever works for you. If you like carving with Exacto blades and it works good, then do it that way.

Nice web site. It looks like you spent a lot of time on it.
            Take care,&&Butch &&&&I know there's a carving somewhere in all that extra wood!

Comment

www.picturetrail.com
              http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

I saw you pictures Callynne
                I love the santas. I have a deal for you. I would love for you to carve something for me since I like your style so much
                [email protected]

Comment

Doel - First, let me say your work is very good and inspiring! Welcome to our little group - I'm sure we can learn alot from you.

As for X-Acto blades, I use them, too, for tiny detail work. I also use power, chisels, gouges and knives. I don't like sharpening, either - and sure don't do it much!! I do strop my chisels and gouges frequently, use the disposable x-acto blades and when I need something sharpened, I send it to someone else to do!! I'm just learning to sharpen myself.

As everyone has already said - whatever works for you is what you should use!!

Teri
                  "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                      Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                      by Quartz43
                      I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                      Today, 09:09 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                      by will8989
                      Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                      Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                      by will8989
                      I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                      Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Back in the saddle again
                      by will8989
                      I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                      Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Starting again
                      by will8989
                      And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                      Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                    Working...
                    X