Does anyone know about....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know about....

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about carving tools from a company called AMT. I'm not sure if the company exists anymore or not. I see EBAY has some for sale. (Sure, now everyone is going to bid on them, ha-ha). Are they quality tools or not, thanks. Beeguy

Re: Does anyone know about....

beeguy,

all I can find is contact info. It seems that this company may have been bought out and you may want to call to see if they are still producing carving tools or get info.

AMT (American Machine and Tool Company)
    Fourth Avenue and Spring Street
    Royersford, PA 19468
    (215) 948-0400

Good whittlin, Cliff
    Charles City, Iowa
    http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

BeeGuy, I purchased a set of fishtail (large) gouges from AMT several years back. They were Chinese mfg, and came with a very steep bevel on them which made them difficult to use. At first I was extremely dissapointed, but got over it quickly. I ground th bevel back to what I wanted and now feel they are an excellent set (especially for the money).

I believe AMT got out of the carving tool and several other areas, and now market industrial equipment, but I could be wrong on that. I got a letter from them a ways back explaining that the switch to comercial was a financial adjustment, and they no longer marketed small tools. I also bought a reciprocating sharpening system from them and have been happy with that, too, although I use it infrequently.

Sooooooo........if you don't mind doing a regrind on the bevels, or have someone to do it, the ones I have are of good quality steel, sharpen and hold an edge well. If the price is right I'd take a chance on them.

Al

Comment

Thanks Cliff, I'll give them a call.

Comment

Also, thanks Al for responding. Beeguy

Comment

AMT went bankrupt over one year ago. I bought over 100 of thier carving knives (wouldn't cut butter) and re-ground them and sold most to our club members. They are excellent knives (made in Tiawan) They are all I use now for roughing out. I can carve for a few days before they need honing. Big Al
            P.S. If you see the 2' blade on ebay, don't pay more than $1.00 each for them.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X