Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping saw blades safe

hi
    could i just ask the members here, what do you keep your blades in, and how do you separate them, as there are so many types and sizes, is there a box, tin or plastic wallet available that you buy over there. I ask because my friend uses old cigar canisters, or has anyone made there own and care to share the pictures.
    thank you
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Hi Steve, I also use cygar tubes to keep my blades in. I drill a hole, or should I say lots of holes in a piece of oak, or what ever wood you like, to fit the cygar tubes in.and nail or screw that into the wall buy my saw. then I can grab the blades out as needed. also. I am not useing some blade for some time , I put them in a piece of cut pvc pipe. cut to leangth, with some end caps on both ends. then I right on it, the size of blade,and the seller I bought them from. I also, keep my old blades. Im cheap. you can use the less sharper blades, on softer wood. or just use them on cleaning, or starting a viening project. also. some folks use a magnet, on the side of the saw. to grab at will the blades you are useing for that day. My magnet is long. it also holds my little squar, and filling tools. but mostly. I just keep most of my blades in there packs till needed. I used lots of blades, and buy in gross amounts. so then I keep them in small drawers. I know where they are ya 1000 blades, and dang , has anyone seen my sand papper. Evie

Comment

I guess I'm kind of lazy, but I bought the blade holder things from, I think, WildWood. It's really just the same thing as a bunch of cigar tubes in a holder, but since I don't smoke cigars, this seemed easier and cheaper.

The tubes are clear plastic with tops on (at least they come with tops). I also buy by the gross and I just stick the piece of paper that has the maker, type, and size inside with the blades. I also arrange them in the holder with the smaller blades in front and larger in back.

Please don't ask about my sandpaper storage. That's a *real* mess!

Comment

Blade Holders

Another option is what I have done, both for blades and other accessories for my modeling hobbies. I go to my local florist and for about 10 cents each, I buy the tubes they put flowers in. They're a little smaller than cigar holders, but the size may vary from florist to florist. They also come with a water tight cap in case you want to store small amounts of liquids.
        Buzz
        We Danes are very even tempered. We're always mad about something!

Comment

I have a very efficient system.....I leave them in the little clear bags Mike sends them in. They are then tossed into a lathe reject cedar bowl next to my saw. The pack I'm working out of is in amidst the dust near the front of my saw. There may even be a few stray bags in the sawdust beside my saw...... Hey, it works for me
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Steve,
            Me and I know many others use 3/4" PVC pipe. Just cut it to the length you want. You can take a 2x2 and cut a bevel on one side and screw it to the wall. Or you can do it like this:
            Here I used some clear tubes. I bought them from a plastic company and cut them the length.
            Mike
            </IMG>
            SD Mike

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
              I have a very efficient system.....I leave them in the little clear bags Mike sends them in. They are then tossed into a lathe reject cedar bowl next to my saw. The pack I'm working out of is in amidst the dust near the front of my saw. There may even be a few stray bags in the sawdust beside my saw...... Hey, it works for me
              I have some little plastic tubes that - in theory -the blades go into; but in practice my system has evolved into one very similar to yours, Barry - I just have a margarine tub rather than a classy cedar bowl ..lol
              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

some great idea's here guys, i particularly like mikes picture, neat idea. Think i'm gonna make me a nice holder (cant you tell i'm new to scrolling)
                thank you for all the input..
                http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

I love peanuts and sunflower seeds. They come in plastic containers that are just long enough to hold the blades. The cap keeps them sealed so that they do not rust.

Comment

This is how I keep mine safe and organized.
                    The tubes are cut down from the long tubes that are made for syphoning wine out of 5 gallon carboys. They are found at most of the large grocery stores in the wine making supplies department. The tubes are glued into holes drilled in the board and the labels at the bottom in front of each tube tells which blade # is in each one .The board is fastened to the wall up behind the scroll saw.
                    They hold a couple dozen each. My backup stock in the back usually hold three or four dozen to several gross per package depending on the ones I use most and when they get down to the last couple dozen to put into the tubes I order more. It is an easy way to keep track of stock as well as keep the blades within easy reach and well organized.
                    W.Y.

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Hey it's an ad for Pegas blades! (Only joking, Bill)

Looks like a good system, - one of these days I might get organised ..lol
                      Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

This is a neat idea....those are Syringe holders....you can get these at almost any local farm or feed store.
                        Attached Files
                        Scrollin' with a Hawk 220VS

Rock N' Scroll

Comment

M&M candies sometimes come in great tubes that can be used for blade storage. The best part is you have to eat the M&M s first
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

My saw is set up right near a wall so the best option I came up with cost a mear $20. i just leave the blades in the bag and label the front of the drawer with the blade size.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by CraftyNYScroller; 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM.
                            Newfield, New York Scroller
                            Dewalt 788 & Dremel 1800
                            http://www.CraftyNYScrolling.com

Comment

I throw them in a drawer in the bags...and hunt through them when I need a different blade <GRIN>

Bob
                              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X