Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexcut tools and knifes

Hi Gang,
    As usual I am in need of advise again. As you probably know by now I have lots of tools and on the whole I am pretty satisfied with what I have. I do how ever have a problem with my Flexcut tools. The main problem is with the V gouges I find that they break very easy. Mine always break right where the two angles form the V. I also have a problem with the knifes and other gouges chipping. Do any of you have the same problem with Flexcut? Mind you Flexcut are very good and have always replaced all of the ones that have broken. Maybe its just me, I am a very aggressive carver and that I am sure could be part of the problem. I was just wondering if any of you have the same problem. ???
    Colin
    http://www.geocities.com/partridge_ch

Re: Flexcut tools and knifes

I have flexcut also and like them, especially the pelican and mini pelican..I did chip the pelican one time, but it was when I was too aggressive and made a twisting or sideways motion with the knife.....found out not to do that again! Other than that one time, have not had a problem...I do believe they are very hard and brittle, I guess they must be to hold the edge...they do seem to hold a good edge for a long time. I am not a knife expert mind you..just my opinion.

Comment

I have a full set of the palm tools plus the 10 piece set of the large mallet tools and have had no problems with any of them except for a problem trying to sharpen the very smallest V-tool and that was my doing. Sent it back to them and they replaced it for free. This was after I told them it was my own fault. I think they are great!

Comment

Hi,I guess I must be inexperienced,but,what the heck is a pelican blade???I,ve never heard of it,but that dont mean nothin.Obviously it exists,just dont know what it is.Please fill me in,sliver.Thanks.
        Mark

Comment

Colin - Have had the same problem with the flexcuts ... they hold an edge because they're hard and chip for the same reason. Like most things there's a trade off in metals (at least as I understand it) If you want tough you need to gtive ujp some of the hard and likewise if you want hard you need to giive up some of the tough. I also don't like the way the palm tools (haven't tried the malletable ones so don't know about them) flex, much prefer a more rigid tool which doesn't tend to flex out of a cut. Another thing I don't like about them is the handle itself, which tends to be very awkward when using the back side of the tool to round over an edge or some such.

Comment

Colin, I have chipped a few blades, but I don't think it's due to being an 'aggressive' carver, as much as bad technique. Knives, chisles gouges, etc, are made to cut, not to pry! If you attempt to pry a chip out, you run the risk of breaking the edge off, or 'chipping' the blade. I've remedied my chipping blade problem, by making sure I don't pry at the end of a cut. If it's on an ending cut, where there used to be a stop cut, I just deepenthe stop cut a little to take out the offending wood chip.

Maybe, you, like me, were a little more than aggressive, and developed a bad technique that needed to be dealt with.

Al

Comment

thanks gang,
              Looks as if its me, maybe I pry as you have suggested. I also have never had a problem with Flexcut replacing any of the broken tools they always do right away sometimes before they recieve the broken one.
              Masker 001 pelican knives made by flexcut come in two sizes one large for roughing out and a small same shape for detail work. I guess they are called Pelican knives because of their shape the knife looks like the bill of a pelican. They are very sharp I really like the small one for detailing. They can be puchased in Canada through Thompsons Woodcarving in Sudbury, Ontario. They have a mail order and usually ship the same day really great prices and wonderful people they have a web site catalog and a toll free number 1-877-503-1601. Their web site is www.woodcarve.netfirms.com. good luck
              Colin
              http://www.geocities.com/partridge_ch

Comment

Yeh Masker.....what Colin said!

Comment

Comment

I love my Flexcuts - power carving blades, hand chisels, gouges and knives. They're all I use. I can't say they're the best, cause they're all I've EVER used....but like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I did break a pelican knife clean in half, but it was due to my 'digging' instead of carving with it.

Teri
                    "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

Just call me lazy or set in my ways I guess ... Instead of changing technique or being less agressive I just went back to my old knives and tools.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X