Basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basswood

Hi all. I lost my local source for basswood. Does anyone know of a good source on the web? I found a few on a google search but would like your opinion before I buy from an unknown source. Thanks
    Cheers
    Rick

Re: Basswood

Where are you located Ric? Maybe someone nearby, or at least, in the same state has a source.

Aud

Comment

Ric,
      It's hard to beat Slim's Woodshed in Minnesota. There's another wood supplier up that way and they ship too. I don't have their address right this minute but will look for it today and try to send it tonight. Maybe someone else will have it before then.

The quality of their wood is the best. They come to Missouri once or twice a year to a show and we can replenish our 'stash' without shipping.

Donna T

Comment

Hi Ric,

Two other good suppliers of basswood are:

Itasca Wood Products
        http://www.itascawoodproducts.com/

and Joe Jewett at Copperhead Road Logging and Lumber
        http://www.joescarvingwood.com/

Hope these help you.

Good whittlin, Cliff
        Charles City, Iowa
        http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

Ric,
          OK I found the info on the wood suppliers I have used.
          Heinecke Wood Products
          Dale & Tim Heinecke
          76 - 27 1/2 Avenue
          Cumberland, WI 54829
          (715) 822-8642

and Slim's Woodshed
          Slim Maroushek
          P O Box 594
          Harmony MN 55930
          (507) 886-3114 or [email protected]

Both have a variety of wood and cutouts (Heinecke's has roughouts too) and mostly EXCELLENT basswood. With Heinecke's the shipping goes down proportionately with the size of the order.

Hope this helps.

Donna T

Comment

I have used Heinecke a couple of times and had friends use them.All are quite satisfied.Great wood at fair prices.In fact I am almost due for another order.I like ordering by phone.
            Shimmy

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will follow up on these leads.
              Cheers
              Ric

Comment

I get my basswood from Don Wedl, he is a small operator and has his own mill, sometimes is a little slow in getting the wood out, other times fast, depends on his orders, but his prices are very good! Give him a try and tell him I sent you! (no I don't get a kickback! I just promised I would help get his name around with other carvers)

Comment

Geez...Old Timers Disease or what? forgot to put Don's email address on that entry! http://members.tripod.com/~woodsource/index.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by Quartz43
                    I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                    Today, 09:09 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                    by will8989
                    Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by will8989
                    I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                    Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Back in the saddle again
                    by will8989
                    I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                    Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Starting again
                    by will8989
                    And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                    Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X