Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chainsaw carving

Hi Gang,
    I have just purchased a Huskavana 141 saw with a carving blade and I think I will give this chainsaw carving a try it looks as if it could be a lot of fun. I dont think it will ever take the place (for me that is) of carving with a mallet and chisel or with knives but I like to try everything at least once. I am in need of advice again. Does anyone know of a good book or video on chainsaw carving or any web site instruction? Anything would be helpful as I dont have a clue where to start.
    Colin

Re: chainsaw carving

Colin: My only advice to you would be. 'BUY A FACE SHIELD'

A very good friend of mine in Florida is still wearing 400+ stitches to his face and head. It was his first attempt at chainsaw carving. Kickbacks are a B---H.

steve

Comment

Yep, and hearing protection (cup style are best). All the cs carvers around here wear those safety chaps, too. I think I've seen several boks on cs carving at www.woodcraft.com

Rick Ferry might have books, also, but I can't find his catalog in this pile of stuff of mine. Check with him at www.littleshavers.com

Al

Comment

colin
        be sure to wear a breathing mask.
        it is a necessity when power carving of any kind.
        I use a 'NORTH' half mask, that has replacable cartridges.
        I use the cartridges for dust and paint. It will also scare the grandkids away and give you some peace while carving

PaPa

Comment

Colin: Jerry Wagner has a video out called 'Chain Saw Carving the Bear' and it is a good video. Covers everything from safety to finished product. I think you can get it on Amazon. Good luck and have a good safe time. I sure do

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
            Reply to Winter issue
            by Bill Wilson
            I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
            Today, 02:49 PM
          • Bill Wilson
            Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
            by Bill Wilson
            Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
            Today, 02:13 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
            by will8989
            Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
            Today, 01:57 PM
          • Don in Brooklin On
            Virtual Wood Show
            by Don in Brooklin On
            Due to Covid-19 all events in Ontario have been cancelled including the Wood Show in Toronto. It was a great event but this year it is going to go virtual.

They will have a number of seminars and the ability to tour vendor sites. Not sure how it all works. It will be FREE but you can pay...
            Today, 12:56 PM
          • cwmagee
            Reply to Winter issue
            by cwmagee
            Got mine yesterday. Regarding Christmas Items I seem to recall a few years ago that they moved up the Holiday related items to the Fall Issue to give us more time to make.

It was great to see all of the variety of designs and contributors available...
            Today, 12:09 PM
          Working...
          X