Question for my Canadian friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for my Canadian friends

I was watching something on TV this morning and saw something that's puzzled me for some time. Now, this may have been answered when I was in school (during the dark ages) but it if was covered I've forgotten.

Why is Queen Elizabeth on most if not all of you money? Are you in some way "owned" or governed by England?

Ok, that was two questions. But I'm still curious.

Thanks
    Kelly
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Canada is an independant country, we are not owned by England.
    The Queen is the Head of State.
    We used to have to get permission from the crown to create certain laws governing our country. We no longer need permission to do that.
    in 1982 we established the Consitution act.

There are other faces on our money too.
    http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/i..._currency.html
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Kelly, at one time Canada was a British Commonwealth under British rule. In 1867, the British North American Act was signed and Canada became a Conferderation under our own rule.
      The Queen only appears on the $ 20.00 bill.
      Marsha
      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Just think, if you were owned by England you would be driving on the left side of the road.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Walker
          Just think, if you were owned by England you would be driving on the left side of the road.

Don't you mean the wrong side of the road?
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha
            Alaska accepts Canadian coins as "legal tender" as long as it is just a few here and a few there. I just looked at one in my pocket and it looks like Queen Elizabeth to me...........or Abe Lincoln without a beard
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Hi Kelly, at one time Canada was a British Commonwealth under British rule. In 1867, the British North American Act was signed and Canada became a Conferderation under our own rule.
              Marsha
              To continue the history lesson - The confederation was initially only 4 provinces - Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Manitoba and North West Territories joined in 1870; British Columbia joined in 1871, PEI in 1873, Yukon 1898; Sakatchewan and Alberta 1905 and Newfoundland held out from joining Canada till 1949.

Nunavut "joined" in 1999, having been originally part of NWT.

.. and yes i had to look up those dates, apart from the 1867 and the 1949 one ..lol
              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

.. and there's no truth in the rumour that the C$1 coin is called a loony because of the queen's portrait on it ..
                Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian for the coin trivia. Never heard of it that way. Always thought of the graceful bird on the back, never even looked at the front. LOL
                  Diane
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon
                    Thanks Ian for the coin trivia. Never heard of it that way. Always thought of the graceful bird on the back, never even looked at the front. LOL
                    Diane

I've heard it a few times - maybe it's just disrespectful Nova Scotians - lol

I still remember the first time I heard a loon - what an eerie sound they make!
                    Ian

Comment

We have some on the lake here and you hear them in the summer, early morning and at sundown. It's nice when you are out fishing and you hear the sound.
                      Diane
                      Dragon
                      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                      Owner of a Dewalt 788
                      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
                        Alaska accepts Canadian coins as "legal tender" as long as it is just a few here and a few there. I just looked at one in my pocket and it looks like Queen Elizabeth to me...........or Abe Lincoln without a beard
                        Sorry!!!!!!!!! I didn't consider the coins. She's on pretty much all of them.
                        Marsha
                        LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Sorry!!!!!!!!! I didn't consider the coins. She's on pretty much all of them.
                          Marsha
                          Marsha's obviously too wealthy to consider coins ...

I just want to know why there's not a moose on any of the Canadian currency - moose are cool ....
                          Ian

Comment

Why don't Bob and Doug Mackenzie have a coin? A bottle of beer and a Hockey stick could be stamped on the back.
                            Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
                              Why don't Bob and Doug Mackenzie have a coin? A bottle of beer and a Hockey stick could be stamped on the back.
                              ROTFL, Jeff. OK and for another - Red Green - with duct tape on the back
                              Ian

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X