Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying wood

Hello

I have a lot of wood of two tree of Orange-tree (tree of orange fruit), that I have cut this week.
    This is a good wood to carve it, as they have recommended me.

My questions are:
    How should I place them to dry off?
    Shoul I cut the wood or leave the trunks without cutting?

And how long should I leave the wood to dry off?
    one year?

Some suggestion?

Thanks Saturno.
    Saturno&&-----------------------&&Regards from the Galaxy.

Re: Drying wood

A lot depends on the size of the wood.
    For most wood I dry, I remove the bark and split the wood in half or quarters, that relieves most of the stress. Then I seal the ends with melted parrifin wax.

If the trunk is large, I might saw out blocks 2-4 inches longer than I need for carving, seal the ends with parrifin and stand on end with good air circulation (out of the sun).

Drying time depends on the size and type of wood.
    A small piece 1 inch square x 6 inches long might dry in a week. While a larger piece 12' x 6' x 24' will probably take 3-6 months. Naturally, drying time depends on temperature and humidity.

Expect 10 to 15 percent loss due to cracks, so dry 10 to 15 percent more wood.

After you successfully dry some wood, you will always have some drying and will be looking for more.

Comment

Thanks Rick.
      I appreciate your information.

I have trunks in several measures.
      The biggest trunk have a diameter of 14 inches and a lenght of 25 inches, and the smallest have a diameter of 2 inches and a lenght of 30 inches.

I live near the sea, and the weather is warm and a lot of sun.

Saturno.
      Saturno&&-----------------------&&Regards from the Galaxy.

Comment

Saturno,
        I am jealous sounds like a great place you live in. I am sure if I lived that close to the ocean, warm with lots of sun I probably wouldnt get too much carving done. Where I live we got snow last October and it didnt leave until a few weeks ago and I have about a 15 hour drive to the nearest ocean.
        I guess I should stop my complaining and answer your question. I agree with Rick if you quarter the wood it will almost eliminate the cracking, if you want to carve the whole log you can but one thing I will garantee is that it will crack. I dont mind the cracks most people dont. You can carve the wood almost right away I find that green wood it delightful to carve it doesnt splinter and carves like butter.
        Hope that I have been of some help and by the way welcome aboard.
        Colin
        www.geocites.com/partridge_ch

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
          Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
          by Quartz43
          I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
          Today, 09:09 AM
        • will8989
          Reply to countdown for Bruce.
          by will8989
          Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
          Yesterday, 10:12 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
          by will8989
          I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
          Yesterday, 10:02 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Back in the saddle again
          by will8989
          I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
          Yesterday, 09:59 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Starting again
          by will8989
          And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
          Yesterday, 09:55 PM
        Working...
        X