X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny_S
    replied
    Re: Tools

I have 2 Helvies, 2 whitlin jacks and a couple of cheaper knives. Several pocket craving knife with one being a Broker, which I love. I haven't had to many problems with getting an edge or keeping one on any of the knives.
    I think there would be several ways to get an edge or keeping edges on knives.

Leave a comment:

• Saturno10
    replied

Hi

I buy my tools online from Spain at USA websites as Woodcraft or MHTC.
    Here in Europe tools made in USA as are more expensive and more difficult fo find, but now with the chage USD-EURO I can buy to good price.
    However PFEIL tools here are cheaper.
    I carve with Flexcut knifes, PFEIL Gouges (hand and full size), Stubai and a CASE Seahorse pocket knife.

Saturno.

Leave a comment:

• millhoused
    replied

Any reputable knife maker will replace a defective knife. Dave Lyons, John Dunkle, Ken Helvie, Ron Wells, and flexcut all replace there knives or fix them if you have a problem. I am sure there are others, these are just the ones I am familiar with.

Personally I prefer to make my own. It does cut into my carving time on occasion.

Thanks,
    Don

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• Callynne
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yup on the Pfiel gouge prices from Canada ... shipping is a bit slow, but the price is certainly right. Not that the company is slow to ship, just the mail ... figure two to three weeks ... why, I hae no idea. As for ordering online, most companies are good, the trick is sorting out the good from the bad. If what you are interested in is a lyons knife you might try giving LIttleshavers a call at 206 767 7421 they have about 15 different models listed in their catalog and are friendly, helpful and reliable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks for the info concerning the BO-T knives. I will look for the David Lyons knives.

Has anyone ordered tools on-line? Does this really work without too much hassle? Can you really get a full-sized pfeil gouge for 26 canadian dollars or about 17.33 USD?

I like going to a Woodcraft store and actually seeing what I am going to buy without having to intrepret every word in an advertisement looking for the exclusions, exemptions or disclaimers or other descriptions that make the on-line knife different from the one in the store. Just curious about other experiences with ordering tools on-line.

Also, how do you become a member as opposed to a guest? I registered, is that enough?

Leave a comment:

• Callynne
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Bo-t knives require a slightly different sharpening technique than most carving knives. The blade grind is convex, and is best sharpened on a wheel.

Leave a comment:

• whittlin
    replied

Carvin_Marvin -
    I have a Bo-T knife and I for the life of me can not get a good edge on it. For the price of the Bo-T I would get a Helvie or a David Lyons knife. I own both of these knives and I have not had a problem getting an edge on either of them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Has anyone used a Bo-T bench knife?

This is the one with the curved handles in the variable colored 'wood'. I am not sure what wood is used for the handles.

How does this compare to some other bench knives that you have used?

Leave a comment:

• Callynne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• millhoused
    replied

My old timer is model 340T. It is a medium stockman.

Makin' firewood,
    Don

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_S
    replied

Yes that is my problem also. I set it to low on this pc and it has taken care of prolem. Thanks CALL for the info. Now the one at work(OH NOw), I can't do anything about.
    Will reset it to medium when I am finished posting.
    Again Thanks and Happy carving

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks Callynne,

I think I figured out why I can't stay logged in. It is the reason you suggested about the 'cookies'. However, I have a firewall installed on my computer because of work related secutity and cannot set my privacy settings that low. I have resigned myself to be a guest.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X