Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools

Carvin_Marvin -
    I have a Bo-T knife and I for the life of me can not get a good edge on it. For the price of the Bo-T I would get a Helvie or a David Lyons knife. I own both of these knives and I have not had a problem getting an edge on either of them.

Comment

Bo-t knives require a slightly different sharpening technique than most carving knives. The blade grind is convex, and is best sharpened on a wheel.

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Thanks for the info concerning the BO-T knives. I will look for the David Lyons knives.

Has anyone ordered tools on-line? Does this really work without too much hassle? Can you really get a full-sized pfeil gouge for 26 canadian dollars or about 17.33 USD?

I like going to a Woodcraft store and actually seeing what I am going to buy without having to intrepret every word in an advertisement looking for the exclusions, exemptions or disclaimers or other descriptions that make the on-line knife different from the one in the store. Just curious about other experiences with ordering tools on-line.

Also, how do you become a member as opposed to a guest? I registered, is that enough?

Comment

Yup on the Pfiel gouge prices from Canada ... shipping is a bit slow, but the price is certainly right. Not that the company is slow to ship, just the mail ... figure two to three weeks ... why, I hae no idea. As for ordering online, most companies are good, the trick is sorting out the good from the bad. If what you are interested in is a lyons knife you might try giving LIttleshavers a call at 206 767 7421 they have about 15 different models listed in their catalog and are friendly, helpful and reliable.

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Comment

Any reputable knife maker will replace a defective knife. Dave Lyons, John Dunkle, Ken Helvie, Ron Wells, and flexcut all replace there knives or fix them if you have a problem. I am sure there are others, these are just the ones I am familiar with.

Personally I prefer to make my own. It does cut into my carving time on occasion.

Thanks,
                  Don
                  May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

Hi

I buy my tools online from Spain at USA websites as Woodcraft or MHTC.
                    Here in Europe tools made in USA as are more expensive and more difficult fo find, but now with the chage USD-EURO I can buy to good price.
                    However PFEIL tools here are cheaper.
                    I carve with Flexcut knifes, PFEIL Gouges (hand and full size), Stubai and a CASE Seahorse pocket knife.

Saturno.
                    Saturno&&-----------------------&&Regards from the Galaxy.

Comment

I have 2 Helvies, 2 whitlin jacks and a couple of cheaper knives. Several pocket craving knife with one being a Broker, which I love. I haven't had to many problems with getting an edge or keeping one on any of the knives.
                      I think there would be several ways to get an edge or keeping edges on knives.
                      Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X