Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools

Thanks for the info about Ramelson chisels. I have overlooked them so many times because they were less expensive! I might have to give them a try. Doyou know about their RC hardness? where they are made (steel origin)? any other technical info?
    I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

According to their website http://www.ramelson.com/ the tools are high carbon steel, 60-62 rockwell for hardness, and come pre-sharpened.

For those of us that always want more gouges but have enough chisels and skews The Woodcraft Shop, http://thewoodcraftshop.com/ has a set of five Ramelson gouges and a v-tool for $34.95. This is actually the first set I have ever considered buying.

Good whittlin, Cliff
      Charles City, Iowa
      http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

I'll tell you what I know xxx They are hand forged in the U.S.

The steel has a high carbon content as evidenced by the spark field generated by touching one to my bench grinder (I know terrible thing to do to a tool, but I suffer from terminal curiosity).

They take and hold an edge very well.

They are every bit the equal of the pfiel and stubai tools (except for the stubai extra deep veiners - only because they are extra deep).

This only applies to the palm tools, I have no idea about the others.

RC hardness - I have no idea. They take an edge and hold it, that's all I know.

The high dollar tool police are gonna get me.

FatEddy wasted away.

Comment

LOL don't worry Ed, I'll bust ya out

From the technical data I can find the Ramelson tools are on the same quality level with Pfeil and Stubai at a very competetive price.

Ramelson
          high carbon tool steel
          hand forged
          heat treated and tempered to RC 60-62
          hardwood handles
          Made in the U.S.A.

Pfeil
          chrome vanadium alloy steel
          heat treated and tempered to RC 59-61
          hardwood handles
          Made in Switzerland

Stubai
          W1 tool steel
          Hand forged
          heat treated and tempered to RC 60
          hardwood handles
          Made in Austria

Being on a VERY limited hobby budget it looks like I will be looking at Ramelson tools in the future.

Good whittlin, Cliff
          Charles City, Iowa
          http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

What about Henry Taylor? I think they are increasing production in an effort to supply more tools to the US market. Pfiel is having trouble meeting demand (rumor). I have a set of Taylor palm gouges that I like very much.
            They must be honed before use and are affordable.

Comment

So far my H. Taylor collection is limited to one gouge that I haven't used enough to really say one way or another. From all appearances it falls in line with the above mentioned tools. There's nothing wrong with having to hone a tool before use. Actually, they are provided that way because the manufacturer has no way of knowing what wood you are going to carve so they really don't know what bevel to put on them. IMHO Pfiel and Ramelson just take a guess at soft wood and sharpen their tools accordingly (good guess in most cases).

Comment

I went to the Tulsa,Ok Woodcraft store this weekend and finially bought some Flexcut micro palm gouges, Looked at the Pfeil and they looked great but settle on the flexcut as they were cheaper and was very sharpe out of box. Carced a little Santa face for pin backing and was really pleased with the way they handle. Glad to see WOODCRAFT put in a store locally. Well, 70 miles is better than 250 to KC,MO.
                And I finally bought a carver's glove also. Have't cut myself but bound to be a first time. :
                Looks like even after I log in ,I am still a guest. >
                Happy and safe carving,
                Kenny

Comment

Kenny,

I cannot stay logged in either. I guess we are doomed to be guests forever.

Bob

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Thanks.The siettings are there already. Really not a bother except I have to put My ID and Email in it all the time. Will continue to post when I feel there is an interest in my post. : There may not be any interest in them but oh well, the same treatment I get from the little bride .

Safe and happy carving

BTW, thanks fro the info on settings.

Comment

Thanks Callynne,

I think I figured out why I can't stay logged in. It is the reason you suggested about the 'cookies'. However, I have a firewall installed on my computer because of work related secutity and cannot set my privacy settings that low. I have resigned myself to be a guest.

Bob

Comment

Yes that is my problem also. I set it to low on this pc and it has taken care of prolem. Thanks CALL for the info. Now the one at work(OH NOw), I can't do anything about.
                          Will reset it to medium when I am finished posting.
                          Again Thanks and Happy carving
                          Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

My old timer is model 340T. It is a medium stockman.

Makin' firewood,
                            Don
                            May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Has anyone used a Bo-T bench knife?

This is the one with the curved handles in the variable colored 'wood'. I am not sure what wood is used for the handles.

How does this compare to some other bench knives that you have used?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X