Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools

I will be testing Ross Oar's knife in a couple weeks.
    I will get back to you with a report when I am done.

Comment

Case, Uncle Henry, Camilus, Buck and a few other mfgs. all make 'whittling' knives that have three carving specific blades. they are similar to, but not exactly the same as the 'stockman' knives. I've used a couple different brands and now have a Camilus that I'm quite pleased with. (lost the other ones) However; none of these, that I'm aware of have a lock-back feature. Personal opinion on the need for a lock-back is that if your pushing so hard as to roll the blade around and cause it to close on your hand, either one of two things are wrong (and maybe both); you're pushing far too hard, trying to take off too much material, or your knife needs a good sharpening and honing!

Al

Comment

Yep, probably both...I've never spent much time sharpening it since I bought my 'other' carving knives/gouges. It'd be nice to have one to take with me places, without taking the whole carving arsenal I've built up. I currently have a Buck with 3 blades (large, pen, and kinda squared-off). If I spent the time sharpening them they might work ok, but the handle will never have the feel of one of my fixed blade knives. That's another reason I looked at the Nott. What I don't like about most of them (besides the $90 pricetag) is they have the kickout oat the bottom of the blade. Granted, I can grind it off, but for that $$$ I shouldn't have to, right?

Rick, let me know how your test with the Oar goes and what you think of the two blades. They both look exactly the same on the pictures.

Thanx,
        Brian

Comment

Has anyone tried the Dastra palm tools? I do own the other brands but I have been thinking about trying these. I have recently started using the Auriou brand tool's so far I am very impressed with the quality. If anyone is looking to purchase fullsized tool's I highly recomend these.

Take Care
          Dale

Comment

Brian,
            The kick is pretty important on pocket knives, but is totally useless on fixed blade knives.
            I never have understood why many of the european carving knives still have that feature.

Comment

Brian, you are right about those pocket foldin knives not having the heft of your regular carving knives, but it may be part and parcel of that particular multi-blade concept.

there is a swedish made folding single blade carver that sells for a lot less, and I believe it has a lock back feature. I can't think of the brand right off hand, but I'll dig through some catalogs and see if I can find it and get acj here when I do.

Al

Comment

Dale O - I've got a couple of the Dastra Palm Tools and they work fine, but can't really tell much difference between them and some of the others. I still think the most bang for the buck are the Ramelsons. I know the tool police will be after me for saying that, but they are a quality tool. Another tool that I really like for the price is the Warren. I bought some without handles and made handles for them. Took an ash 1x1, took the corners off of it at 45 deg on the router table and empoxied them on. Warren need to do a better job of finishing them and supply them in more sizes/sweeps though.

Comment

www.leevalley.com

Al

Comment

Re: Pocket Knives

I have several of the 'Swiss Army Knives' most of which have a lock blade. Over the years I have tried several tools to carry with my when working around the house during the weekends. I have settled on it rather than Leatherman, etc.

One day, just for fun, I wondererd what kind of edge I could put on the carving blade, so I gave it a shot. Man, that is some really great steel in that knife and I think one could carve with it without any trouble, though I haven't tried it.

Comment

The swiss made tools work well in basswood,however in Walnut,they tend to slacken up,in Cherry,small knot took a geck of a chunk out of the edge(double beveled.)I tried a bit of Irish bog wood(Oak) and the wood won.Right now the Henry Taylor all brite finish( by wood craft) tools may be the best bargain/dollar vs quality...Flexi cut? FLEXIBILITY is the last thing wanted in a chisel,especially a mallet tool...Has to do with the transmission of force,Come on folks,think ,P.T.Barnum was right,there is a woodcarver born every minute.Am going out and inventing flexible nails,screwdrivers,and you will stand in line to buy them,geeze.

Comment

Comment

I like to make my own bench knives out of 'power' hacksaw blades. The idea came from Ron Wells http://ronwellswoodcarving.com after making several of these I thought it would be nice to modify the blades on a pocket knife to make them better suited to carving. I bought a case medium stockman and modified the clip blade. Today I find warren has released a knife that looks remarkably like the one I modified http://www.warrencutlery.com only mine was $50 cheaper. I have carried a pocket knife for 30 years and old habits die hard.
                          I picked up a schrade Old Timer 340T at Wal-Mart this past weekend for $14.99. Cheap enough to experiment on. I'll let you all know how it goes.
                          May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

I carved with a modified Old Timer for a couple years. Not bad for the price, but real easy to roll the edge.

Comment

That's one of the two pocket knives I use (reshaped the blades a bit) the other is a model 303 buck. Like em both.

Comment

Ooops ... don't know what model the Old Timer is ... it's the medium stockman with carbon steel blades.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X