sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sharpening

Jim, when I have nicked blades (on knives or gouges) I haven't had any luck just stropping them, they have to be 'stoned' or in the case of just small nicks 'sanded'.
    As far as changing bevels if I've ever done it, it would certainly be by accident!! I just follow the shape of the tool I'm sharpening.
    The sand paper is one great method, I don't go back to the stone unless I have really messed something up (like taking the point off a knife, now that's a real bummer!!).
    If you have to look under a magnifying glass to see the nicks I would think the sandpaper method would solve your problem. Just do it a couple times and then strop as usual. My 'easy' method for checking for nicks is to 'gently' run my thumbnail over the blade, sort of like fingernails on a chalk board but it works for me. Callynne
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Has anyone tried the OAR sharpening guide from Woodcraft?

Is it worth the money?

Comment

Try handamerican.com for blade sharpening and honing

Comment

i have the oar sharpening guide and find it very useful for gouges and V tools. it lets me keep the same angle all the way through the stroke.

papa

Comment

Do you guys know how I can find information on places to take my knives for sharpening?
            I do not like doing it :'(

Comment

santosdepalo -
              I know mountainwoodcarvers.com will sharpen knives for around $1.00 (I don't remember the exact price). I guess the drawback would be you have to pay for shipping unless you live in Colorado.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Doel, Rick at Little Shaver's sharpens knives, his phone number is 206-767-7421. His website is www.littleshavers.com and his e-mail address is [email protected].
                I haven't had him sharpen anything for me as I do my own sharpening but he's alway been very helpful with everything else, so I'd recommend him highly for this also! Good luck! Callynne
                http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Richard (Dic_) Belcher of Belcher Carving Supplies, LLC in Ohio is where I send everything I can't sharpen (I HATE sharpening VTOOLS). If I remember right, he charges about $1.50 to $2 each plus shipping, but if I mail them on Monday, I usually have them back by the following Monday. If he's closer to you and you want his address and phone number, let me know and I'll dig it out.
                  Donna T

Comment

Could you please provide me with his information?
                    Ohio is definetly closer to PA than Colorado

thank you all for the suggestions..
                    D!

Comment

Jim Dandy, swiss made gouge? Check and see if there are grinding marks on the inside surface.Scratches running lenght of the blade. These marks are in the cutting edge,no amount of sharpening removes them.You have to either polish out ,or do a double bevel to lower the cutting edge below the depth of the scratches.I am not too happy with the edge holding ability of the Swiss made tools.I just had a 5/8 #11 lose the edge for the third time in Basswood! If it were cherry,oak ,or bogwood,you know that's something else.So buy tools,your LOCAL shop,look incannel for scratches,if you can feel them by drawing fingernail across,put the little thing back,YOU ARE PAYING FOR QUALITY,NOT A WORD,cordially Nad

Comment

You may want to ask your local butcher or meat cutter about sharpening your knives. Many of them do this on the side to earn extra money.
                        Cheers
                        Rick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X