First Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Pen

I finally made my first ever pen. It is not a scrolled pen, but I do plan on tackling "pentarsia" in the future. This is a slimline, Grapefruit and Apricot...so If I was to name it, I'd call it "breakfast of champions". I don't have that many tools and supplies to make pens yet. It is only sanded to 400 grit, the most I have available, and has about 2000 coats of friction finish. I had to use a trigger clamp to squeeze it together since I don't have a press.
    Attached Files
    Jeff Powell

Jeff,
    Looks great, what is pentarsia?

Pops

Comment

First pen eh, I really think it's a fine job for the 1st one. I especially like the wood. I can't wait to see a "pentarsia".
      Marsha
      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Nice work Jeff,

I also like the wood you selected.

Regards,
        Marcel
        http://marleb.com
        DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

pentarsia is similar to tabletarsia, which is not technically different than a scrolled intarsia. Any time you take more than one kind of wood and put it together to form either a design or a picture, it is intarsia. Tabletarsia is done on a tablesaw...ie, my picture "Pocahontas", the frame is tabletarsia..several segments of wood to create a pattern and diamond inlays, all on the tablesaw. Pentarsia is a scrolled pen. It can be simple, like crosses or swirls, or it can get pretty intense, such as the spider pen design that I have instructions for and am excited about building it sometime within the next month or two. It's a spider spinning a web on a pen...made by scrollsaw. I do have an american flag pen that I designed myself and scrolled , but I'm waiting for a pen kit so that I can turn it on the lathe. I am aspiring to design my own pentarsia designs down the road..because a man always needs another hobby...who needs sleep?

I am hoping to sell some pens to help keep my regular intarsias going....that stuff adds up after awhile! But don't read me wrong...I'm not trying to sell pens here on ssw...just to whoever I meet on the street or on the road, or whenever. It's something easy to travel with and affordable to regular people. Not to mention, the redheaded wife gets on my back sometimes about spending too much on wood..not to mention all the wallspace we are running out of...I keep taking down her paintings and putting them in the attic to make more room , hehehe.
          Last edited by workin for wood; 03-08-2007, 08:07 AM.
          Jeff Powell

Comment

Great pen Jeff

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Nice job Jeff. You ever get down Mount Pleasant way stop in and see me.

Steve in Mi.

Comment

Jeff, good job. I've turned several hundred, good sellers at craft shows too. You'll be suprised how creative you can get in the designs. Don't have a press either, I use BESSIE to press mine, and thats not my wifes name either.

Think outside the wood box for your blanks, I like deer antler and corian isn't bad either.
                Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

Very nice looking pen there, Jeff.
                  Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Great job ofr a first pen, Jeff! Hang on to that one....
                    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Very nice pen. Nice wood
                      Diane
                      Dragon
                      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                      Owner of a Dewalt 788
                      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Lovely looking pen Jeff, and credit for the way you've set up the photo shoot, very stylish my friend.
                        kevin/pitbull.

Comment

That looks reallt good,One heck of a job very nice.

Jerry
                          Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

I use a quick grip clamp as my press as well, and it works fine for me, use your pen press money for more kits! Pen making can be about as addicting as scrolling. Dale
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                              by Jim Finn
                              The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                              Today, 04:48 PM
                            • MidMich324
                              Reply to Plastic puzzle
                              by MidMich324
                              Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                              Today, 03:57 PM
                            • RJweb
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by RJweb
                              As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                              Today, 03:42 PM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Farmers market "survey"
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                              I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                              For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                              Today, 11:14 AM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Farmers market
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                              Today, 11:00 AM
                            Working...
                            X