Woodburning: What Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodburning: What Model?

Looking to purchase my first woodburner unit. In the beginning my present needs would be to help in the detailing of fir, feathers, and hair. Any thoughts or comments on what model would be a good unit to purchase, I'm more quality sensitive than price senssitive and like anything else, would like it to last. Thanks for any help or direction. Bill in NY 'coffeeman'

Re: Woodburning: What Model?

Whooooeeee, coffeman, you opened a real can of worms here. Let me say my burner is rated OVER 100 watts and I dare not use a replaceable tip handpiece over about 70 watts. For fine lines, I am thinking a 50 watt unit is sufficient. As to which brand, there are several, Razortip, Colwood, and my own unit which shall remain nameless to avoid a firestorm of controversy. The basics of these units is the same and all are quality machines. Buy one that has a local supply of tips and handpieces.

Comment

I agree with the Captain. The guts of these things are basically the same and with adapters almost all the pens are interchangeable. As for power - There's several ways of assigning a power rating to a device and the manufactures don't ever tell you which one they use. As an example the same unit could be rated at roughly 60 watts or 140 watts. The unit I have is rated at 40 Watts and at about 50 to 6o percent power turns the pens red hot (not recommended for pen life) in 6 or 7 seconds and will keep them that way with no noticeable cooling. On the replaceable tips - I don't think you save enough over a complete pen to make it worth the hassle. (Guns, fishing tackle and burners a good way to start a fight)

Comment

Coffeeman,

I have not heard anyone complain about any brand of burner.
        I use a Nibsburner and am very happy with it. I have used it to detail a few bird carvings and put fur on some of my Santas.
        Good luck on your search!!

Woody01

Comment

To Captain, Plain Ol Ed, & Woody:

Thanks for your valuable insight and knowledge about the burners, it appears that its nothing I should get hung up on, I've been looking at the models mentioned above. Sounds like i just need to pick a vendor that is close bye and reliable shas reliable service, again thanks. Bill in NY 'coffeeman'

Comment

The clencher in my selection was the price of tips after I purchased the burner! I am able to get tips at a reasonable cost, and believe me, you will be buying different types of tips! Some of the burners available, the price of tips is out of sight! imho.

Comment

I'm still using the same Lenk 'hobby burner' I started with. I only use it for some details so haven't gone to a 'pro' unit yet.

I also have a friend who does wonderful work using only a magnifying glass and the sun but I don't have that much patience. lol

Good whittlin, Cliff
              Charles City, Iowa
              http://cliffordparker.tripod.com

Comment

Coffeeman,
                I have a Razertip made here in Canada but sold in the US they have a large ad in Woodcarving Illustrated. I have had mine for ever and it works great. There are a few good things about Razertip firstly the service. If you break a tip or burn it out they will replace it for you for a couple of dollars or with any tip they carry you just mail it back and they are very fast. They will overhaul your whole burner for $20 Canadian. Their warranty is also great and the best thing of all your US dollar. 6 US is about 10 Cdn so you get the deal we dont. Hope that this has helped
                Colin

Comment

I also have the Razortip burner. I found that it was a good reasonably priced burner with many tips available.

I haven't had any problems with mine but that's good to know Colin, that they are so fast with their customer service.

Chris
                  Safety first

Comment

Again everyone, thanks for your great replies and advise, I'm definitly getting a unit and the advise on cost of tips makes alot of 'cents', and taking advantage of the US dollar in Canada really helps too. Thanks to all, Bill in NY 'coffeeman'

Comment

I failed to mention, I also have a razortip and I got a very good deal through 'Chipping Away' Will find the address if you need it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X