Daylight Savings Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daylight Savings Time

I don't know how many of you change your clocks to Daylight Savings time, but I think it occurs in many areas of North America and it's happening this weekend, 3 weeks earlier then other years.

So here's a tip for you.
    Most computers are set to automatically change the time for daylight savings, but your computer dosen't know we're doing it 3 weeks early. So if you manually change the time this weekend, your computer will automatically change it again in 3 weeks.
    Here's how you stop your computer from changing the time.
    Click on: Start
    Click on: Control Panel
    Click on: Date, Time, Language & regional options
    Click on: Date & Time
    Click on the time zone tab, and if there is a checkmark in the box beside Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings time, click it and the checkmark will go away.

Of course Mr. Gates is working on a patch, but I don't know if it's ready yet, so in the meantime this is a quick easy fix.
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Yes it is ready. You can download it from the Microsoft web site.

Comment

Hi,

If you have Win XP, and have the auto update activated

you don't need to do anything.

Otherwise, you should visit MS' website to download a patch.

If you have an illegal copy, now you know the impact and influence OF MS: you can't patch your system and they are finding new ways all the time to get people to buy legal versions because of patching required.

Regards,
      Marcel
      http://marleb.com
      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Once again proving Bill Gates Motto "the GEEK shall inherit the world"
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Just O.T.

Just asking:

I know the USA is changing daylight savings, but why did Canada change also?

The object was to save energy. The biggest gain will be in the large Southern Population states of USA during the 3 weeks of March. I thought the energy saving would be a washout in the far Northern states where winter still exist for the next few weeks. I presume the same holds true for Canada where winter still rules for well into April.

Maybe no one really knows, but it just seems odd that Canada would just follow along with no real proof of energy savings to themselves.

Phil

Comment

Marsha, I have 27 clocks to change, I'm not going to worry about this computer. I make and collect clocks, 5 of them chime. I have them set to chime a minute or so apart. Don't forget about the batteries in your smoke alarms.
            Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I will not worry about my computer. I can change it manually. I still remember how to do this. I am from the dos era!!
              Diane
              Dragon
              Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
              Owner of a Dewalt 788
              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by GrayBeard Phil
                Just asking:

I know the USA is changing daylight savings, but why did Canada change also?

The object was to save energy. The biggest gain will be in the large Southern Population states of USA during the 3 weeks of March. I thought the energy saving would be a washout in the far Northern states where winter still exist for the next few weeks. I presume the same holds true for Canada where winter still rules for well into April.

Maybe no one really knows, but it just seems odd that Canada would just follow along with no real proof of energy savings to themselves.

Phil
                I would think Canadians are changing at the same time because of the cross border trade.
                Smitty
                Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by GrayBeard Phil
                  I think there's no energy savings, but possibly we spend more. Light bulbs don't consume as much energy as heating systems do. So, if we are up earlier when it's colder out, we'll turn the heat up earlier too instead of turning on light bulbs. And at night, when it's lighter for longer, we'll wind up staying up later and having the heat on longer then too.

I think it's all hogwash. DST was originally invented for the farmers so they could have more day light to do their work. I know several farmers and they're up at 4 in the morning with or without the DST in place. So, what's the big savings about?
                  Mia

We are the music makers.
                  We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Canadians are changing this coming weekend also.
                    Diane
                    Dragon
                    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                    Owner of a Dewalt 788
                    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Get a Linux OS and don't worry about it, it sets your clock from satelite every day.
                      Happy scrolling ain't it fun
                      www.scrollsawart.com

Comment

Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

I don't know if DST saves energy or not, but I do like the extra light at night so I can work outside or ride my bike longer. I will miss the hour of sleep in the morning for a few days though.

At least we're not like China where they only have one time zone, Beijing time. With that, the western part of the country is dark until 10:00 in the morning and light until midnight. Go figure.
                          Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
                          and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Originally posted by utbva
                            At least we're not like China where they only have one time zone, Beijing time. With that, the western part of the country is dark until 10:00 in the morning and light until midnight. Go figure.
                            Wow, that's just awful! How did you learn that information?
                            Mia

We are the music makers.
                            We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

LOL Chuck.

I thought in the US it was decided by the individual state whether to have DST - Arizona didn't have it last time I was in that area ..I don't know if there are other states who don't have it.
                              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                                Today, 12:25 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Bread and Cheese..
                                by keystonecop
                                ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                                Today, 12:08 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                                by keystonecop
                                This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                                Today, 12:01 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by jim_mex
                                Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by will8989
                                That is beautiful. Your design?
                                Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X