Interest and More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest and More

I hate to admit, having lived this long, that I do not know how to sharpen gouges!! I have carved with a knife these many years, but recently I was given a fine set of tools by some students and I would like to know of a source reference for proper sharpening of same. At first I could not afford to buy the gouges and then when I could I was too embarassed to admit I couldn't sharpen them if I did purchase...now I have no excuses...your help,please.

Gene Riggss

;DRe: Interest and More

Eugene,
    Gouges are no different from knives to sharpen the only difference is that they are curved and not straight. The same principals apply as when sharpening a knife the trick is to keep the same angle throughout the stroke. I use a power strop and the yellow compound I find that unless the tool is damaged there is no need to subject it to a stone. To put the edge back on it just strop it on the leather belt until you get that burr on the edge and then polish it. But having said that there are many on this board that would disagree because there are many ways to sharpen tools and none of them are wrong. My advise to you is watch someone that sharpens their own tools try it and if it works for you and you maintain a keen edge then it is not the wrong way.
    Colin

Comment

Re: Interest and More

I am in totally agreement with Collin. Many different techniques and none is wrong. Find the one that works for you. I use diamond stones and leather strops. I have not used the 'yellow stuff' but have used jeweler's rouges(red) and that works for me, so I use it. I will however look for the 'yellow stuff' and try it.

Keep looking and trying different techniques.

Remember safety first, then enjoy
      Ken
      Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Re: Interest and More

Hi Gene, go on down this page about seven topics and click on 'Sharpening Kit' posted by Captain Bandaid, it describes a very helpful strop made by FlexCut. If you need any help finding it let us know, there are places you can order it if you're like me and no where near a store that sells carving supplies. Callynne
        http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
          Reply to Communion cross
          by cwmagee
          That is beautiful.

I am chaffing at the bit to get back to the scroll saw, Unfortunately the urban renewal project "Redoing the deck" has taken over all of my time.
          Yesterday, 09:25 PM
        • daveswoodworking
          Comment on 2020 Ornament Exchange
          by daveswoodworking
          Yes I’ll send you the list of names and address to sent to after after the dead line
          Thank you for join the exchange
          Yesterday, 09:24 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to Communion cross
          by Linda In Phoenix
          Excellent contrast not only in wood choices (LOVE the bocote), but also 90 degree corners on the bocote and radius corners on the maple. Very nice!
          Yesterday, 08:46 PM
        • vgraf
          Reply to 2020 Ornament Exchange
          by vgraf
          I signed up four four, Will you be sending the list of where to send my ornaments?
          Yesterday, 08:19 PM
        • Trackman
          Reply to Winter issue
          by Trackman
          Got mine in East Central Indiana. Carole has a nice bowl idea an couple of tool reviews
          Yesterday, 07:44 PM
        Working...
        X