Burn safe woods...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burn safe woods...?

I have alot of scraps,(I mean alot), they're all too small to be anything anymore,(unless I start making jewely, which isn't going to happen), and I would like to give them to my Dad to burn in the fireplace.
    Are there any woods I might not want to burn in the house because of toxic fumes and the like. The woods I primarily have are; Ash, Aspen, Basswood, Butternut, Cherry, Hackberry, Lacewood, Mahogany, Oak, Poplar, Satinwood, and Walnut.
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

If he has a good chimney and flue, it shouldn't matter much. All the fumes and smoke created by burning wood is not good for you...

But if you wanted to be extra cautious, I personally wouldn't burn any manufactured wood or exotics (lacewood, satinwood). But my dad burns all of the rest of those woods in his woodstove.

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I agree with Bob about the exotic hardwoods, although you should add pine to the caution list since it creates a lot of creosote (sp?) buildup in the chimney which is the #1 cause of chimney fires even if you get your chminey cleaned once a year.

I do have a suggestion for your small pieces. Make some bird chew toys from them. You know, the kind you just drill a hole in the middle, thread through a rope, leather or chain and hang in a bird cage. My parrot goes through tons of wood and that's where my scraps are going.
      Mia

We are the music makers.
      We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

I would take caution on some woods though. If any of the woods are glued panels the glues could possibly be toxic when burned and inhaled or ingested and some plywoods are even containing formaldahide. I know that there are some warnings on the ply that comes in to our plant about the chemicals that are used to treat it. Please use care when handling and disposing. Steve
        If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
        My Gallery
        [email protected]

Comment

I heat by wood alone and I would not burn any of this in my stove. No glue or paint. No exotic or fancy. Never, ever any pine or conifer wood. Leaves some gum on the inside of the chimney. Play it safe. Ditch it.
          Diane
          Dragon
          Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
          Owner of a Dewalt 788
          PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I'd burn all the scraps of the woods on your list without even thinking about it. Or, if they are big enough, glue `em up and make some pens
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I'd burn it all, but not walnut, pine, or plywood. Plywood the dubble whammy...it usually contains pine which gums up the flue and the glue in the plywood burns black, leaving creosote in the pipes. A couple small scraps of walnut, no big deal, but don't be putting walnut logs in there. Walnut is very carcinogenic....sure all smoke is bad, but walnut can give you chemical pneumonia which is much more deadly than regular pneumonia.
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Wow,
                There's plenty of walnut in there. Not much plywood, (I work with mostly hardwoods). Though lately I've been messing with BB plywood. But even that's not much. I guess I'll have to sift through it a pull all of the fancier stuff; satin, lace, walnut. I wonder if these are ok in an outdoor fireplace. Any other ideas what I can do with it. We're talkin very used wood Mostly less than one square inch of useable surface, almost all 1/4" thick stock.
                Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                No task is too tedious for Art.
                Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Save the small pieces for fire starters or kindling when you go camping!!! That is the way I get rid of all of mine.
                  Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                  Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                  Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by markdavd
                    I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                    Today, 09:45 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    by NC Scroller
                    My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                    Today, 07:42 AM
                  • will8989
                    by will8989
                    None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                    Today, 12:20 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                    The bags seem easier on the surface.
                    But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                    Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                    Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                  Working...
                  X