This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Blessed

I am the pastor of a small country Church here in Missouri.
    I had a wild cherry board and one of the men from the church took it home with him and planed it and sanded it.
    When he brought it to me this morning he brought some black walnut lumber.
    He as his own saw mill and it was some that he had cut and set back to dry.
    Another man from my church brought me some sassafras cut into 8X11X 1/4 boards.
    Another has a Red Cedar log that is pretty big and I will probably have it cut into lumber by first man. or cut it on the bias so i can make some plaques or something.
    So you all see its reall important to attend church

dale

Originally posted by dale
    So you all see its reall important to attend church
    Wow, it brings new meaning to Matthew 6:21 but especially 6:33!
    Mia

We are the music makers.
    We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Originally posted by miamw
      Wow, it brings new meaning to Matthew 6:21 but especially 6:33!
      Amen to that. Of course, I had to look the verses up.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

that is so awesome Dale that all those folks blessed you, it just goes to prove GOD Blesses his own ways
        Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

It proves that Dale is an excellent scroller and has some generous acquaintances.

As shocking and scandalous as it might seem to our many Christian members, there are other members here who don't share that faith. If we are to maintain a community which is inclusive and welcomes all faiths and creeds, it's important that members of a particular faith shouldn't use their woodwork to proselytize. Let's enjoy the woodwork, including those projects which are of a religious nature, but keep the evangelism out of the workshop.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
            it's important that members of a particular faith shouldn't use their woodwork to proselytize....keep the evangelism out of the workshop.

Gill
            Thank you so much for posting that. I totally agree!
            Mia

We are the music makers.
            We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

don't worry, I wouldn't let Jimmy Swaggart into my shop if you paid me a million dollars!
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                If we are to maintain a community which is inclusive and welcomes all faiths and creeds, it's important that members of a particular faith shouldn't use their woodwork to proselytize.
                Gill
                Gill I do not beleive that was the intent of the post and I further believe you are being a bit overly sensitive. If I remember back just a few weeks ago jokes/references about minorities were allowable (against my objections) but any speak of religion is deemed off key? Unreal.
                Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Buddhists believe that everyone has a right to their beliefs. The Dali Lama says that there are xxbillion people on this planet, so there should be an equal number of religions...and I honestly believe that.

I can see the points of both sides here. I don't think anyone intended to use this message board as a "soapbox" to promote their beliefs over someone elses, but I can also see the point that something like this tends to be a slippery slope...I can see how people would really start to get nervous when people just start naming Bible verses without providing any context. It's like you're speaking in code.

So how do we handle this without hurting a lot of people's feelings on both sides? It's an emotionally charged topic! It's compounded by the fact that we are not sitting here talking face to face; we are communicating through the imperfect medium of the internet. All the body language, tone of voice, and the other visual cues are missing; all we have are the words...and you ALL know how a word can mean different things to different people...it can escalate quickly!

I don't have the solution (see me trying to follow another saying by the Dali Lama "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them!").

So that's my quandry; am I hurting people by even posting this? Is the damage already done? I don't know...but my first thought goes back to something my dad told me long ago...when you are with friends don't talk politics or religion!

I'm overjoyed that people are moved by their faith, and using their work as an outreach for their faith. But I do need to stand by what is written in the Bill of Rights: Respect Other Members.

Bob
                  www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Todd, I'm not against any mention of religion - as I said, there's no reason why people shouldn't post projects with religious connotations. Furthermore, there were some posts before Christmas which emphasized putting the 'Christ' in 'Christmas' and these were allowed to stand. In many cases, each post is a judgment call and we try to be tolerant. Sometimes members will agree with us and sometimes they won't - judging by the number of private messages I've received today supporting my post, I think I've got it right. Now I'll get loads of messages telling me that I'm a censorious heathen bigot !

I'm just trying to make sure that everyone feels welcome here - I want us all to be friends. If someone had posted a piece of intarsia depicting Stonehenge and someone complimented it by saying that it proved the power of the Goddess, I'd have stepped in there as well.

It's very likely that the contributions to this thread were not made with the intention of proselytizing; but on a forum such as this it's not always easy to appreciate that the writer of a post has their tongue firmly in their cheek. Religion is a sensitive area - people ponder the matter deeply and can easily take personal offense, even when no offense is intended. I think it's wise to be cautious when making comments that pertain to religion.

Gill
                    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

That is wonderful Dale! Sharing ones bounty with others is what it is all about!!! I'm sure the folks in your church felt better giving than you do receiving!
                      God has already blessed each and everyone of us, whether you choose to believe it or not.
                      Last edited by BobD; 02-13-2007, 07:34 AM.
                      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
                        That is wonderful Dale! Sharing ones bounty with others is what it is all about!!! I'm sure the folks in your church felt better giving than you do receiving!

God has already blessed each and everyone of us, whether you choose to believe it or not.
                        Sometimes short and sweet is the best policy, well said Barry.
                        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

It really was'nt my intention the start a rift. I was just saying how wonderful it was to recieve this wood. I dont believe that I had given where a person was to go to church if at all.

I will try to watch what I say in the future.

dale

If you want you can delete this post.

Comment

Can we switch to politics now?
                            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Speaking of politics.. I am up for re-lection in april for mayor of my small town.

dale

I am running unapposed.. maybe i will get re- elected...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X