No announcement yet.

Crooked Walking stick blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure do like the pictures,,,and the answers!!
    Hmmm. Very Encourgaging!!
    Be the good,
    you want to see in the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
      You could build a cane for him like one of these:
      would hickory be a good choice of wood for this cane ?

Comment

I think hickory would work fine. I have never worked with it myself. I have made many of these and I make the staff of laminated maple or oak. I glue together three 3/8" strips and round to shape with a router. The handles I make of walnut. The inlay on the handle is curly maple. Here are more photos:
        Attached Files
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Finn View Post
          I think hickory would work fine. I have never worked with it myself. I have made many of these and I make the staff of laminated maple or oak. I glue together three 3/8" strips and round to shape with a router. The handles I make of walnut. The inlay on the handle is curly maple. Here are more photos:

I got an excess of maple pieces that I cut for an other project , maybe the pcs can be resaw to the size of a wooden pistol cane handle

Comment

Friends, is debatable when it comes to a gift. You can go the whole nine yards & then you know, IF they are a true friend. They will be happy no matter what. I even had someone say that a knot in a picture frame was not right. It's what I call character, as was mentioned here before. I don't like it to be perfect in every aspect. It just isn't natural. I like the diamond willow stick myself. Good luck with your sticks
            PERK

Comment

End of the crooked walking stick story... I took all my walking canes(10 sticks) to the Church social affair, laid them all out, some were pretty beefy, my friend came, and now I asked him to choose from the lot, and being that my friend was rather hefty, I suggested a sturdy man size one... much to my amazement he chose the shortest, straightest, not much of a handle, of the lot. I would have figured it was for a small woman, really. He asked me how much, I told him to keep it...go figure...he shops at the Big Man stores...this small cane did not measure up to his size. oh well, guess Im not a good salesman? or he is a rough customer. Anyway I do not think it would hold him up!
              maybe he wants to swat flies with it...I gave up.
              Thanks
              Rob
              Be the good,
              you want to see in the world...

Comment

Doesn't sound like he is as bigga man as you figured .I remember one of my fathers sayings,"How you can tell the size of a man by what IRK'S him !" Lot of over estimated people out there ! " I hope ,I'm not one of them" Carl
                "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X