Kitchen Cabinets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Cabinets

I need some advice on restoring the luster to our kitchen cabinets. They are oak and are looking rather drab. I don't want to refinish or take them down. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

clean them with something like citra-shine to get all the grease off them...scrub them down really good and rinse well. Buy a bottle of restore a finish. Test it behind a door and see if it works with your present finish, and if so, go nuts. Do a search for that product, it's really amazing, but only works on certain finishes. If you have older cabinets, you're more likely to succeed.
    Jeff Powell

Comment

Restoring old cabinets

Mike,

Changes are you have a build up of all kinds of residue from normal dust to cooking oils, polishes, waxes, etc.

In fact no matter what you put on you can't get it to shine, you first need to clean off all that residue, to do this you need a "dewaxer". Which basically is Mineral Spirits / Paint Thinners , they are both the same solvent with just a different name.

You need some old soft cloth and some paper towels, cover the sink, conters. ect. Take the solvent and wet the cloth or the towels, and then rub one door at a time, you will see the wet cloth removing the dirt and residue, once the cloth is dirty, switch over to a clean one, keep scrubbing until that cloth is clean. Then you will know the residue has been removed.

After you clean all the cabinet doors and drawers, allow the them to dry , then you may want to apply a thin coat of a paste wax, or a cream polish that don't contain any silicones.

You should not wax or polish your cabinets more then once every 6 months.

Good luck
      Last edited by MacS; 02-02-2007, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
        Reply to Sundays market
        by will8989
        We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
        Today, 08:56 PM
      • Jim McDonald
        Reply to Interesting pallet
        by Jim McDonald
        I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
        But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
        Today, 08:17 PM
      • Quartz43
        Reply to New tools
        by Quartz43
        I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
        Today, 03:40 PM
      • hotshot
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by hotshot
        You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
        Today, 02:27 PM
      • RJweb
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by RJweb
        I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
        Today, 01:31 PM
      Working...
      X