a Mickey Mouse Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a Mickey Mouse Idea

When I was on vacation I ended up at Disneyland.
    There was a lady there cutting silhouettes freehand with a pair of scissors.
    She used no light, or tracings, you sat down she looked at your profile and in less that 15 seconds she had captured your image.
    My wife and I had a portrait done. I think it was around $7 but I cant remember.

I would be fascinated to see if anyone could do this scrolling freehand.
    She told me there were around 25 people in the US that make their living cutting portraits freehand.
    Attached Files
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Very nice Carl. I've seen someone do that before and I was amazed watching them. The portraits are accurate. That has to be talent. I have a hard time cutting while following a line ...
    Diane
    Dragon
    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
    Owner of a Dewalt 788
    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Carl,

Disneyland is my FAVORITE place on earth. I really miss it. I had my son's silhoutte done the first time we went, when he was 2. I haven't been back in over 10 years.

It really is incredible the talent those folks have. I know I could never do that, with scissors or a scroll saw. Somebody would be missing a nose or something.
      Kelly
      "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Sunday Morning news had a lady from disneyland doing silhouttes. She was deadly accurate with those scissors.
        Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
        Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Carl
          About 5 years ago we also went to Disney and at Animal Kindom there was a guy cutting out names and so on with a scroll saw. Not sure what kind of saw it was tho.

Comment

I wonder if I could convince a cruiseline to have me cut names freehand
            I could have a Tshirt made up Will Scroll for Food!
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
              Reply to My covid angel
              by NC Scroller
              Whatever way you decide to do if you are happy and your brother in law is happy it was a good idea. If you really want to be brave use it as a learning experience. Make several of them using different suggestions and see the difference....
              Today, 12:35 PM
            • Bill Wilson
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Bill Wilson
              Well, unfortunately, I have also decided to let my subscription lapse. I've been debating it for the past couple years. It isn't so much the money, but it's more the disappointment when yet another issue has so little in it that really appeals to me. The final straw was this past Fall/Winter edition...
              Today, 09:51 AM
            • planeur
              Reply to My covid angel
              by planeur
              Thanks to all !😀 Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
              I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
              Was it a good idea.....?...
              Today, 09:45 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to My covid angel
              by Rolf
              Great designe! I would have gone a bit further than Linda, Scott and Gladefade I would cut it into more pieces to make shaping easier. Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the...
              Today, 09:02 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Rolf
              The never ending dilemma. I only get two magazines SSWWC and Wood carving Illustrated. Even if I don't make something in every issue there is usually something in each one that I have never tried and that will either challenge or inspire me. Yes I know that I do test cutting for them and they have occasionally...
              Today, 08:49 AM
            Working...
            X