Comp. crash, lost ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp. crash, lost ...

it all ! Worst of all, I lost the pictures of everything I've cut. I posted them here but the resolution is shrunk down to the point that I can't get them back to print off for my "catalog". On top of that, I lost the master patterns for some stuff I downloaded and pics. of things I was going to make a pattern of too. I hope I can recover them some how, especially the pics. That hurts. I'm on a back up laptop without adequete security so I won't dally long. Hope to be back up soon and will check in periodically from work computer.
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

That's gotta suck, big time. I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I spent a little time today copying all my patterns onto a CD/RW. Last week I burned them to a CD/R and then remembered that when burned this way, you cannot save any changes. I also have all my patterns and photos on a USB flash drive. This gives me double protection. Normally, the flash drive would probably be sufficient, but I also have a WIN98 computer that the flash drive isn't compatible with and since that printer is connected to my laser printer, I like to be able to transfer them from PC to PC.

This should serve as a heads up to others out there. Back up to CD or other device. You just never know.

Once again Weasel, I'm sorry to hear about your crash.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I feel your pain!! I wonder how many members are scrambling right now to backup their pics/patterns? I have a small wireless network connecting my laptop and two desktops. I generally work off the laptop in front of the TV and save my work to one desktop. Me thinks I'll create another shared folder on the other desktop for a third backup.
      Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
      Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

It is a very hard earned lesson. Even doubly so because just last week I'd thought about backing up my pics and stuff and figured I'd be all right, " I'll get to it soon". Well soon wasn't soon enough. I had to break out the ole lap top for this post. So if any of ya'll don't have ya' stuff backed up, do it first chance ya' get because it might be the last chance. If ya' have plenty of CD-RW discs lying around like I do then use them. Don't regret it like I did and my Dell is only 2 years old and not long out of warranty. I can buy a new hard drive but not an original pic. of that first piece.
        Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
        Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

Wow, just read this and amazingly enough this morning I stopped off at Staples Store and bought a 1gig USB memory card for filing away patterns and pics. I finished taking them off the office computer and my home computer this after noon. WHEW!!!! (but I feel your pain)

Comment

We've got a rotating set of Terabyte drives here and we backup every day...and the only thing to back up a terabyte drive is another terabyte drive...

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

All my pictures are on CD's, plus I use Picture Trail, it's only $20 a year.

Bob
              Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I have two drives on my computer and the second one is for storage only. Not a partition but a physical real second drive. If my computer crashes the data and pictures are on the second drive.
                I also burn regularly on cd and put those away.
                Diane
                Dragon
                Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                Owner of a Dewalt 788
                PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfield_Bob
                  All my pictures are on CD's, plus I use Picture Trail, it's only $20 a year.

Bob
                  That is another excellent idea. All my completed projects are uploaded to Photobucket.com. So far, it hasn't cost me anything. I believe you are allowed so much space before you start paying. This is also where I direct all my potential customers so they can see my work. There are quite a few photo hosting services out there. When I eventually use up all my free space with this one, I'll start using Flickr. I've used that one for posting photos on a fishing forum.
                  Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                  www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Hey, Captain, your computer may have gone to lunch without damage to the hard drive, in which case it could be plugged in as a slave on another machine and you could continue to use it.

Or, you could look into hard drive recovery, even if it is the hard drive itself that failed. CompUSA can do it, but they are pricey and a better bet would be a mom and pop local computer business. If you shop around, you can probably recover your files from a drive with a damaged controller for less than $200.

Pete

Comment

Pete just beat me to what I was going to say here - it's definitely worth trying your drive in another machine if you can.

I thought I'd lost a lot of stuff a few years ago but took the drive into work and it worked fine on another machine - turned out to be a cable rather than a drive problem ..

What were the symptoms of your computer not working after the crash? Nothing at all - or just failing to find and boot from the drive?
                      Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Captn,

Before taking out the drive, have you tried booting from the Original Windows CD? Depending on the version of Windows you were on, it could be easy to recover if the hard drive isn't damaged and it's only an OS problem.

With a laptop and network you could maybe bootup in recovery mode with network capibility and transfer files from one machine to the other. Or you may even be able to repair the existing Windows installation enough to save your data from the system (if you have cd/DVD burning capabilities)

If the hard drive is damaged, then the solution could prove more expensive to recover the data, and it would be up to you to determine if you are willing to spend from 2 to 5 hundred dollars to recover the lost data. There are specialized places that can do it.

Good luck to you, and don't hesitate to ask if you need details or help.

regards,
                        Marcel
                        http://marleb.com
                        DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Just be careful about reinstalling the Operating System if you save your files in "My Documents." That is an area that is overwritten when you reinstall Windows. My friend lost a bunch of files doing that...

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

The above answers are correct. Unless your disk suffered a serious head crash, which is highly unlikely these days, the data on the surface itself is probably still there. The cost to recover it goes up with each of these options:

1. Boot from a recovery or boot CD or disk and see if your drive is recognized.
                            2. Take the drive out and put it into another machine as a slave.
                            3. Try something like Norton Disk Doctor. This may recover the drive.
                            4. Use a data recovery service like http://www.salvagedata.com/Recovery/adw/. This can cost hundreds of dollars, though. Do a google on Hard Disk Recovery and you'll come up with plenty of places to choose from.

I've gone as far as the Norton step in the past. It was able to bring my drive back enough that I could copy the files onto another.

Good Luck!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X