Shop Helpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Helpers

It is a fact that we all enjoy our time in the shop, admittedly many of us have created woodshop widows in the pursuit of our chosen hobby. For me this isn't the case as the family always comes into the shop to see what I am up to.

Beyond those minor exchanges something has happened, I have aquired by the grace of God a little assistance, and I call them my shop helpers.

Folks, I am beaming with pride that my daughter has taken to the scroll saw while other little girls are consumed with...well...whatever it is that little girls are consumed with. But for me it is watching the interest in the woodshop grow within my son, Ethan (8 years old). He has taken so many steps in learning the safety aspect of being in the shop and how to do the boring prep and finish work in helping me complete projects. I took some photos today of him and it just makes me smile to no end. I was raised fishing and hunting but any workshop time with my Dad was non-existant, I am happy and proud that I have been blessed to be able to provide this experience for him. Within a son is a bit of what their Dad was, pride has taken on a new definition.

It sure is good being home my friends.
    Attached Files
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Yes Sir Todd you are blessed. The little man looks right at home there in the shop. Congrats on him taking an interest. Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Comment

Rivari, they sound like great kids and you should be real proud of them. I think kids of every generation really want to spend time with their parents and do what they do. What is sad is today's world is parents don't have the time or won't make the time to spent with thier kid so the kids go to place they can amuse themselves (computer, mall, TV). I'm glad you were able to buck the trend.

Tell your kids the message board is waiting to see their work in the bragging section.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Safety glasses - $10
        Ear muffs - $20
        random orbit sander - $80
        shop time with your son - PRICELESS

Dude, that is so awesome. Believe me, this will pay off big time. You and you son are making memories that you both can cherish for a lifetime.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Cool pics there, Todd. Looks like you're training him well ..
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

EXCELLENT!!!!!

Precious times those are. The best part is the kids will remember them and pass the tradition to their kids!!!

Bask in that feeling Todd, you've earned it!

Oh, and if you had a lathe, all 3 of you could be working on a project together......... or another scrollsaw.....I know someone who may have a DeWalt for sale soon........
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Very cool Todd. I'm hoping to be blessed like you soon as mine is almost half your son's age and already showing and interest with the shop. He loves to wear the saftey gear and use some tools with my support.

Eric

Comment

Folks I appreciate the good words. When I was still in Iraq my son told me the one thing he missed was the smell of saw dust...can you believe?

Ethan has asked numerous times about scrolling, just a bit to soon for him (by my asessment) but I can see it in the near future.

One must learn to shovel a bit of horse dung before they learn to ride and appreciate, his time will come. But for now I'm just glad having him around asking questions and doing what he does best, being a kid.
                Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

That's great news Todd, i can't wait for my grandsons to grow a bit so i can teach them about woodworking, i did'nt have a shop when my son's were young so they don't know anything about w/work and now they've flown the nest i don't suppose they ever will. my dad used to make things when i was young but he never let us help or even watch so i never learned from him i have had to learn as i go along. the time you spend now with Ethan in the shop is very precious and the memories will last a lifetime.
                  kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wilson
                    Safety glasses - $10
                    Ear muffs - $20
                    random orbit sander - $80
                    shop time with your son - PRICELESS
                    Todd, it just don't get any better then this! Enjoy every minute of it.
                    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Todd is so cool that your kids have taken an interest in your wood working and that you as a great Dad are taking time to teach them and help them express them selves, these days it seems all kids are ever interested in is x-box,nintendo, ext....
                      Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Nice to see that they take an interest. It is precious time spent together that cannot ever be replaced. The memories will always be there. Enjoy.
                        My grandson has already started learning how to hunt and this summer when he comes to visit we will be scrolling. Providing I have a saw LOL
                        He is 12 years old and very ready.
                        Diane
                        Dragon
                        Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                        Owner of a Dewalt 788
                        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Thats great!!! Im glad to see pictures like that! And, tell Ethan he did an excellant job sweepin up the shop, hes welcome to come over to my place anytime! Dale
                          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

You have proven the saying "anyone can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy." Will your head ever again fit under that hat?
                            Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                            Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

i Have Just Started Showing My 14yr Daughter How To Saw . My Big Trouble She 14 Going On 21 I Think Lol I Just Hope I Can Keep Her Intrrested In It . So Far This Will Be Be My Biggest Quest In Scroll Sawing Since I Have Been Cutting Iam Sure
                              Hegner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                                ingers crossed
                                Today, 07:35 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                                My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                                Today, 04:32 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by Rolf
                                Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
                                Today, 04:19 PM
                              Working...
                              X