Had my first scroll Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my first scroll Yesterday

Having been invited via a member from this forum ( uk-scroller) to ' have a go' at scrollsawing, i took him up on the offer and duly went around to his house for a go, he took me to his workshop where he had made allsorts of items there, jigsaws, lorries, silhouettes, santas, snowmen etc etc.
    Being somewhat weary of the machines i stood and watched him cut out a few items first, for some reason, as i stood there watching, i thought, how come this doesn't look has hard as i thought it would be, then he offered me my turn, fortunately he went to make the Tea whilst i attempted to cut something, my biggest fear was turning the wood on the spot, but after a couple of attempts i felt more confident than ever, and was soon twisting my way through the wood.
    All in all i had a great night and learned loads, he also lent me a scrollsaw video, which i duly watched upon arriving home.
    Thank you frank
    cant wait to order mine now..
    steveb
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

You'll be addicted soon Steve ..lol.
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Certainly, the scrollsaw is the most benign power tool ever. I often surprise visitors by touching the blade while the saw is running, always gets a gasp.

Nothing but minor flesh wounds...

Comment

I am glad you had an oportunity to try the saw out. Any power tool is intimidating if you have never used it. The scroll saw can be a pleasure to use once you know how. It can also be a source of exsaperation if you don't.

You have had your initial rush now and it will be hard to stay away.
        Thanks uk scroller for showing him what fun it can be!
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Steve you've taken your first step in many more to come congrats on your first scrolling now go get your saw and make lots of sawdust
          Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

hi guys
            many thanks for the comments, i have been told my cabin wont be with me until the end of Jan, i have already waited over 2 months for it, still, at least i can have a good look around at scrollsaws and various sites too.
            steveb

Comment

Originally posted by stevebuk
              hi guys
              many thanks for the comments, i have been told my cabin wont be with me until the end of Jan, i have already waited over 2 months for it, still, at least i can have a good look around at scrollsaws and various sites too.
              steveb
              Steve, it's really great you've been able to try a saw before plunging in. Scrolling is one of the most pleasurable hobbies. Have a good look at all saws while you're waiting for your cabin, but why would you waste your time looking at other sites, you've already found the best on the internet.
              Marsha
              LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha
                but why would you waste your time looking at other sites, you've already found the best on the internet.
                Marsha
                totally agree marsha, a great group of people..

Comment

sawing habit

Next thing you know you will be me and I am sure some of the others sleepless nights finds me at scroll saw . One of those projects that you can T figure it out till about 2 am than it comes to you as you are sleeping next thing i am at the saw And it all comes together just the way it was to be lol

Comment

Hey steve, glad you finally got to use a scrollsaw that didn't bite back at you!

The scrollsaw is such a pleasant tool to use that I'm sure if a thing can be done with a scrollsaw, that's what I'd choose to do it with.

Chris
                    "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Steve,

You are going about this wisely. Hard as it may be to believe, I suspect there are many scroll saws sitting idle in garages, basements, shops, gathering sawdust instead of making sawdust, because people bought them on a whim, didn't learn anything about them and quickly got frustrated with them.

Also, kudos to UK Scroller for lending his assistance. That kind of resourse is invaluable to the beginner. Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
                      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

thanks bill,
                        frank(uk-scroller) is a god send, he was so helpful and everything, people like him are rare over here, bless him.

Comment

Hi all,
                          Steve, glad i was able to help you despell some of your fears !!!!! lol .
                          and glad you enjoyd the evening.
                          trouble is , once you get hooked, (as a lot of other forum members will tell you , ) it is very hard to "kick "the habbit. lol. Scrolling has a magical ability, to turn half an hour into half a day!!!! and a whole heap of wood into sawdust , time just disapears,
                          dinners get cold, and s w m b o gets --er - well--er ---- wel --you'll work that out in time !!!!!!! or at least she will!!! any way just enjoy.

If you 'd like to come over again ,you are VERRY welcome. i thnk i read that you have a saw on order ?
                          all the best for now , i'm going to bed , "got to get out to the saw in the morning "lol -----------Frank---------

Comment

congratulations steve, i originally bought my saw (the cheapest i could afford)
                            just for a one off job, which was to make a load of wooden roof tiles out of scrap t&g pine cladding, the tiles were for a bird table,wishing well and a garden arch altold i cut about 200+ one at a time.(i'd never heard of stack cutting) they are about 6'' long and 4'' wide with a rounded bottom edge, so you could say i learned how to cut curves first, which i suppose is no bad thing. now i've found out the vast amount that can be done with a scroll-saw i wish i'd waited and bought better although on the other hand if i can master the craft on a crap saw when i do eventually upgrade it will be another level i climb to hopefully.
                            and well done to you frank, in this day and age it's not really the done thing to help others. you are a true gent and if i wore a hat i'd take it off to you.
                            kevin/pitbull.

Comment

hi kevin, you just cant believe how much i need that cabin right now, seeing everyone showing their pieces and i cant do anything at all. The trouble is, after it is built, i will then have to have an electrician round, and then i have to build all the counters and work area's, looking forward to it, but when am i going to get started..

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X