Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Blade donations for disadvantaged scrollers - closing date for posting - 8 Nov***

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Blade donations for disadvantaged scrollers - closing date for posting - 8 Nov***

A week ago I posted a presentation of a visit I made to a scrolling workshop in Mexico set up to provide training and financial assistance to a group of mentally and physically disadvantaged individuals who produce some inspiring intarsia works of art. See http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/off-topic/50960.htm

A number of members commented in the post or asked me via private message if there was a way they could make a donation of some blades to help the scrollers out. This is an excellent idea which would be very much appreciated and I've been investigating two suggestions put to me.

The first being to ask Mike at Mike's Workshop if he could help out by consolidating donation offers from new orders of blades placed with him to be shipped on to me at a US based freight address I have. Unfortunately this is not possible as Mike has informed me that he is unable to take on additional work at this moment in time.

The second suggestion was that individuals who wish to donate could be asked to post donations of blades to the address of one of our forum members who would then consolidate the packages and send them on to me. I'm pleased to say that Jim McDonald has offered to provided his assistance here and therefore this is the method I propose is used for donations

All members who wish to donate blades please follow this procedure:

1. Send a private message to Jim McDonald and request his postal address - this action is to avoid having Jim's address posted on the open forum.

* If any members are unsure how to contact Jim by private message please leave a comment in this post thread asking for help and either Jim or myself will contact you

2. Select the blades you wish to donate to the workshop, if possible type and size as suggested here .
    To keep things very simple here please select any of the following blade types/sizes - Flying Dutchman UR # 5, #7 or maybe #9 blades or FD Polar blades #5, #7 or maybe #9 - or any equivalent manufacturers blades of similiar size and type.

* Note that I chose these sizes since due to the disabilities of many of the workshop members they are unable to use finer sized blades or spirals. As many of the woods they use are pretty hard I particularly like the Polar blades

2. Bundle up the blades in bundles of 12 blades each according to size, using a piece of masking tape or similar to wrap around the bundle and write on this the type and size of blade the bundle has. Use several bundles if you wish to send a variety of blades.

3. Place in a stout envelope, preferably padded and post to Jim. He'll consolidate donations and ship to my US based freight address from where I'll forward them to Miguel.

Any amount of blades can be donated
    from a minimum of 1 bundle upwards.

Note that I am not suggesting that this be an ongoing donation - rather a one-off just to help Miguel out. Maybe if it proves popular I might ask for a repeat donation a couple of times a year but at the moment this isn't in my plans. As such I ask that any donations be made within the following 4 to 6 weeks timescale.

All donations will be treated by Jim and myself as anonymous irrespective of quantities of blades donated. This is not a competition to see who donates the most amount of blades. A donation of 1 dozen blades to Miguel and his team will be appreciated just as much as a larger donation. I am, however, willing to post the sum total donated at the end of the donation period if members wish to know it.

I'd just like to finish this request by saying that I know that these days times are hard for everyone and donating to charities and similar causes is not an easy thing to ask of anyone. All I will say is that I honestly feel that as a circle of scrolling enthusiasts we all gather around to help fellow scrollers in need and Miguel's team definitely fall into this category.

Thanks in anticipation of all help offered

The two Jim's!

Closing date for posting donations to Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald and myself wish to thank all folks who have already posted blades to be donated to Miguel's workshop team. Your donations will be greatly appreciated.

For members who have not posted blades and wish to do so please post before Friday November 8. Jim McDonald will then allow 3 weeks to receive all blades before consolidating the donations into a package to post on to my freight forwarder from where I'll arrange they are delivered to Mexico.

If any members who wish to donate cannot meet this date please contact Jim Mc and ask for his help/suggestions.

Thanks again to all donors. You are the best!!

Jim Moss
    Last edited by jim_mex; 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Can't think of a better request....
    You're awesome Jim...
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim and I have have been having a few off line discussion about this for a few days and today, he asked me to be his US contact for this endeavour.

Now, most of my life, I have been more than willing to volunteer for a good cause--starting way back in Boy Scouts. And this is one of the more worthy causes I have seen in many a moon.

I have already had one inquiry about my shipping address and sincerely hope I bump the limit in my Fox Chapel mail box before I get a chance to answer and then clean the mail box to keep it under the limit. If you get a "bounce" because my PM mailbox is full, I ask you to send it again about 12 hours later--when I get a chance to delete.

The only cost to you is the blades and postage to me. I will put all the donations in a box and get them to the other Jim's freight service. I don't care if you put your screen name on the package or not. (It would be cool for me to see where all the donations are coming from and I will make a list of states represented)

By the time Jim gets the blades, I will have stripped out all idenifying marks so Miguel will only know they came from caring scrollers who were moved by the story.

I know not everyone will be able to help, but if you are ordering blades, think about adding a dozen or two and help these folks. I'm sure they don't care if they are FD, Olson, Pegas, etc. They just need quality blades.

Please make my mail carrier complain. I do have an oversize mailbox, so capacity is not an issue.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post

I have already had one inquiry about my shipping address and sincerely hope I bump the limit in my Fox Chapel mail box before I get a chance to answer and then clean the mail box to keep it under the limit. If you get a "bounce" because my PM mailbox is full, I ask you to send it again about 12 hours later--when I get a chance to delete.
        Thanks for the great effort, guys!

Jim, you probably already know this, but I discovered a useful trick with the PM box a few years ago, which is handy when it fills to capacity. When you are in your folder, just click the boxes corresponding with the PMs you want to save, and then on the bottom right of the page, where is says "Selected Messages: Move To Folder:", select "Save as Text" You can then save all of the PM's you want to a designated folder on your hard drive, and then delete your PM box to start it fresh again.
        Last edited by Scrolling Days; 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM.
        Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Jim , just to clarify a point which came to mind as I read your post.

Is Mike unable to ship to you directly and unable to ship to Jim as he doesn't have enough stock? Or is the consolidating the problem?

What if I were to order blades from Mike(pay for them) and have them mailed onto Jim's address?
          Perhaps you have already thought of this method?

Roger

Comment

Is Mike unable to ship to you directly and unable to ship to Jim as he doesn't have enough stock? Or is the consolidating the problem?
            Hi Roger - blade stock is not an issue. I'm sure that Mike doesn't want to get involved in consolidating orders or anything which adds to or complicates his current workload. Maybe if as you suggest the orders he received were purely for blades to be donated he could ship to Jim Mc's address instead of, for example, to your address, since this would follow his normal order/despatch system. You would have to check this out with Mike as I can't speak for him.
            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

It'll be November before I can add to it, but I definitely want to add my two cents...
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

If his PM box fills up couldnt we just post a

PM ME JIM Mc PLEASE

Message here and he can just use a thanks or something to mark that he sent the PM?

Just a thought!

Keep those cards and letters comin folks!

Useful suggestion Walter - thanks
                Last edited by jim_mex; 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM.
                Walter
                Pinelog Creek, FL
                DW788 Owner since 2013

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
                And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Comment

Some members of the Zacapu workshop team your blade donations will be helping

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

why do the one person wear sun glasses

Comment

Originally posted by ray hampton View Post
                      Could possibly be some type of photosensitivity, could be blind, or could be just that cool.
                      Jim
                      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Hi Ray - the person is blind.

Despite this disadvantage he is responsible for quality control checking!

Yep, amazing as it might seem he tells by touch if the intarsia works are shaped, sanded and fit together correctly.
                        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Folks, it is not that I am against what Jim likes to do. It is a great idea.
                          I love to help but I feel that the process is too complicated for me to handle.
                          I am very busy with my present schedule.
                          I am glad to send some blades to Jim.
                          Mike
                          SD Mike

Comment

No problem Mike we understand...
                            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                              Hi Ray - the person is blind.

Despite this disadvantage he is responsible for quality control checking!

Yep, amazing as it might seem he tells by touch if the intarsia works are shaped, sanded and fit together correctly.

I had a feeling that he were blind, while I got good sight , I still
                              do things by touch that could not be done otherwise

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X