What got you started scrolling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What got you started scrolling?

Maybe this has been done before, if so, my apologies. But I'm curious, what got you into scrolling? Did you, or do you still, do other forms of woodworking as well? Let's hear some stories.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

back in the late 90s around 97 I think my Mom and Dad got started making outdoor yard decoration from the Whitfield collection, I joined in and started making planters and such, my Dad bought Mom a Dremel scroll saw so I tried that out, I really liked most aspects of it and I ran acrossed CWWC magazine did a few of the patterns and I have been hooked ever since
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

I had a scrollsaw in my workshop for years but only used it occasionally for heart cutouts and such in shelves. I cut this fish and was offered $30 for it and got hooked.
      As far as other types of woodworking, I enjoy making furniture, in particular antique reproductions. My woodworking library consists of all kinds of very old books of furniture plans (from the late 1800's to the early 1900's) so that when someone commissions a piece I can faithfully duplicate it including the joinery used. I'm always browsing used bookstores for old books on woodworking, there were some amazing craftsmen 100 years ago.
      Attached Files
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I have been doing some woodworking as a hobby for many years. I have had an interest in make wooden clocks for sometime and as I looked into it I realized that a scroll saw would be necessary. Now that I have a scrollsaw, I am ingrigued by the many differnent things that can be done with a scrollsaw. Now with after receiving my first issue of SSW and with the help and incoragement of members of this forum, I am really looking forward to trying out many differnt aspects of this hobby and maybe settle down to one or two styles of cutting. I see that the new issue of SSW has wooden clocks in it so I am very much looking forward to getting my copy of it.
        Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
        and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Got started back in the early 90's I subscribed to several woodworking magazines and one of them had some scroll saw patterns.

Got a couple of cheap saws but I couldn't control the blade on the 3D plaque plans from the old Scroller web site that the magazines were publishing back then.

Tried a couple of Delta models and a couple of Hawk models. All of the saws vibrated to much and I couldn't cut the pattern out of 1 sheet of 1/8th ply.

The old Scroller website only sold the 3d plaques back then. Roy had a deal where He would sell you a Hegner 18VS and a hundred of his patterns for less than $1000.00. The Hegner was the first saw I tried that didn't vibrate and the back and forth blade movement made it a lot easier to control.

Used the Hegner for years until my skill level increased to the point where I wanted to cut some of the really intricate patterns that appeared in the magazines.

Found out that the back and eyes got to old to bottom feed anymore.

Got a DW788 and it worked OK. Lots of fiddling to keep it working.

Saw some the the Work Bill Young was doing with his Delta P20. I had a thought in the back of my mind that that might be a saw to try.

Amazon had a really good deal on the P20 - cheaper than the DW788's they were selling. Bought one and haven't turned back.
          Bob from Northwest Florida

Delta P20

Comment

My folks gave me a Sears scroll saw and band saw when I was about twelve. I broke more blades than I finished projects. Was away from woodworking for many years. Did a little when our girls were small. Started in again after I retired. Bought some tools and dabbled at a bit of everything. Scrolling intrigued me so I bought an inexpensive Ryobi. What a pain for changing blades and tensioning but I made some things I really liked. Now have worked my way up to a Hawk and really enjoy making sawdust.

EarlinJax

Comment

I started out in woodworking with just the basics, a hand drill, sabre saw, hand held circular saw and a palm sander. That all worked fine for shelves. When I built my first 'real' project (a blanket chest) my wife realized I needed some better tools.

I bought my first scroll saw from a friend in 2000, a Ryobi single speed that only used pinned blades. I couldn't figure out how to use the plain end blade clamps that came with it without breaking blades every 10 minutes and was about to give up when I found a great project in a magazine that didn't need any small inside cuts. When I finished it and gave it away as a Christmas present the oohs and aahs were enough to convince me to stick with it. A couple years ago I bought myself a Dremel 1680 and passed on my old Ryobi saw to my uncle who has also taken an interest in scrolling.

Today I still do other forms of woodworking, from small cabinets and shelves to large furniture (bed frames and tables). It doesn't matter which form of work I am doing, it all relaxes me.
              Jim
              DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

My story is no different from anyone here, got a scroll saw and got hooked on the endless possibilities. Now 4 years later I look for every excuse in the book to use a scroll saw. I even use it at work with the youths I work with.

Eric

Comment

My love of scrolling started one day while sitting at our local pub. The owner had just returned from Florida with some beautiful Christmas condiment caddies and knowing that I did a ton of different crafts he brought them right over to our table for me to have a look at. They were fabulous, Santas and Snowmen and one I really liked in particular was a Christmas tree with fretwork. I told my hubby, if I had a scroll saw, I could probably make stuff like that. So he bought me a little Delta 16" VS. We had just bought our house the Jan before, and I had no where to set the saw except the dinning room table. I struggled along until we build my shop the following summer. Then we added the usual tools, drill press, table saw, chop saw, and a router, which was suppose to be his, unfortunately he hasn't turned out to be much of a woodworker, so I use the router alot more then he does. I struggled along with my little Delta, I didn't do much with it. I found the blade clamps a PITA when I tried fretwork and I almost gave up scrolling when I tried the first compound cut project, that little saw just couldn't handle the thick wood.
                  The following summer of 2000, hubby, me, and a very good friend went to a wood show, our friend purchased a Dewalt 788, it was a show stopper and he got it for around $ 700.00, I was very jealous, because we simply couldn't afford one. Well we got it home and he set it up, and he hated it. After a couple of months he told me scrolling was for girls and if I was willing to trade the router for the scroll saw, then I could have it. I laughed and said ya right. He mentioned it again to my hubby and Fred came home and told me John was serious about the scroll saw, so I said OK lets go by a router and see how serious he is. So we went and bought a $ 340.00 Hitachi router and went to his house with it and made the deal. I brought the Dewalt home with me and never regretted it.
                  BTW I still haven't made any of the condiment caddies
                  Marsha
                  LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Back in 1996 just after we moved into the townhouse one of our new neighbors came to visit.
                    Roy Brown is a gentleman in his 70's asked me if I had any hobbies. I told him I use the computer and listen to the short wave radio. He said those are not hobbies.
                    He smiled and left. 20 minutes later he came over with a scroll saw some wood and some patterns. "Here is a hobby" he said.
                    He showed me the basics, left the saw and the wood and the rest is history.

That first saw was a 2 speed Delta. I fell in love with the blade clamps right away. Funny how those are the things that attracted me to this saw and put Marsha off
                    I seemed to want to jump right into the complicated fretwork right from the beginning. My first project was a rose coaster, then a tiger coaster. After the first month I jumped into a cut out of an ark, one of John Polhemus patterns on a piece of scrap wood I got from another neighbor. The wood was 16 x 22 and was painted white, the sawdust was a darker colour. I was delighted to find out it was cherry. I redid the ark a few times. Once on a cupboard door and once on a piece of mahogany 5"x7"

I have since taken that saw apart, The arms wore out. I sent the motor off to be used in another saw and the clamps I gave to my younger brother.
                    I enjoy making patterns. Pattern collection can be an obsession.
                    There is still othing quite as satisfying as sitting at the saw and cutting something out of a piece of wood.

As retirement approaches I can see my shop getting cleaner and more used
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Well, I've always wanted to try my hand at woodworking but never had the space nor tools to get started. I now have a small workshop and have acquired various tools. Scrolling fits nicely into a small shop and doesn't really require a lot of expensive tools to produce nice work. What more incentive does one need?
                      Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                      Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

I have always been interested in woodworking. One of the required shop courses taken by all students (boys and girls) when I was in junior high school (grades 7-9) in New York was wood shop. The others by the way were cooking, sewing, metal, printing, and electrical. Each was for one semester and you actually had to make something useful and was not very simple. That got me hooked on wood. In high school we also had to take a shop class and I chose wood.
                        When my wife and I bought our house, carpentry knowledge became a necessity as we did not have enough money to hire anyone. The hand tools soon became hand held power tools and that kept me going for about 30 years of home improvements and repairs.
                        As I neared retirement in the mid 90's, I found that I wanted some stationary power tools, and finally had the means to acquire them. The garage gave up its car and became my shop. Among the tools purchased was a delta Q3 scroll saw. It looked intreaging at the time but I had never done any scrolling. A woodworking and scrolling show at a nearby County Fair site showed me what was possible, and I made a few basketweave baskets designed by John Nelson and a few simple puzzles by Patrick Spielman. I could not keep them long enough to study them for mistakes and impovements.
                        When I finally retired, I scrolled a whole lot of the the Longabaugh's mini-clock designs as gifts for about 20 collegues of mine who had become friends or mentors during my 34 year teaching career. They were a hit and I have not stopped scrolling since.
                        I still make furniture and built in bookcases for family members and ourselves, and my portable power tools still make frequent trips to my children's homes. Sometimes they even return to my shop in time for me to use them again. But, scrolling has become my # 1 woodworking hobby. I love it because you can finish a project is as little as a hour and get satisfaction from a job well done.
                        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

i agree with most things already said here, but there's one particular tool i am afraid of, and have never gotten on with, and thats the scroll saw. At this moment in time, i am still waiting for my cabin to arrive, and i haven't even bought a scrollsaw yet, but thanks to CanadianScroller, he has helped me choose a scrollsaw, this one infact http://www.diytools.co.uk/Product.aspx/!TB_DEL40540

so i am going to have to battle my demons and get to grips with it.
                          steveb
                          http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

why scroll sawing

Son was in the gulf and i needed to do something beside sitting on cnn and fox for the news.Got a cheap saw think it was a delta for 79.95 16 inch and gave it a try/ Liked it and than in 98 force out of work on a medical. got a better saw and hit the boards.
                            Now several years later and many board feet i find a site that people have the same likes.This has been a blast so far and i have learned some new tricks as well.
                            I have cout everything from wood to paper to corion( counted shop said it couldn't be done haha showed them up big time, Even found out you can pick up a few dollars to help with this hobby.
                            Now i Have started to do volunteer work once a week at a Alzheimers home.I cut out the wood and they have to finish it with the help of the volunteers.Very rewarding to see them do something. This xmas they gave away 15 rocking chairs for 2 to 7 year olds ,and 15 cases of puzzles ( with 15 puzzles) in each box.They had to sand and paint them.They had a good time and did a good job.
                            Maybe some of you can take the time to do this in your areas it once again is very rewarding to use the saw and enabling them to not feel helpless or useless.
                            So that is how this ballgame got started and now back to the saw. Have fun and enjoy life as it comes after all this is the cards we are dealt so play your hand to the best you can. Jerry

Comment

Thanks for all the reponses. I enjoyed reading all the stories. Mine is much like many of yours. My Dad was in the building trades and I learned about carpentry and tools at a young age. When I got married, I worked as a carpenter, building houses for a couple years. Dad had sparked my interest in building stuff and it has kept going now for over 30 years. I gradually accumulated more and better tools as my budget and experience allowed.

I got into scrolling several years ago. I started making Christmas ornaments for the kids to give away to school teachers, bus drivers, SS teachers, etc. Then I started making them for family & friends. After a couple years I realized I needed a scroll saw to make more and better ornaments. That was about 1995 or so. I did a few craft type projects on the scrollsaw, but never really tried anything too challenging. The ornaments got more popular every year. After many of years with my old Craftsman, I finally wore it out and by that time I was ready to step up and that saw just didn't cut it anymore (pun intended )

I now have a DeWalt and a little over a year ago, joined a scrollsaw club. My eyes have been opened to a vast world of projects I never dreamed of. I'm still looking for the time to spend on some more challenging projects. I made 5 of the nativity scene lichterbogens from the holiday SSW&C magazine. That was one of my most time consuming and challenging projects. I hope to do more soon.
                              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X