Almost a bad situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost a bad situation

Last night while working in the garage I almost had a serious disaster. While ripping an oak plank, on the table saw, the power went out. There I was in total darkness with a turning saw blade. Lucky for me I kept my cool and basically froze until the blade stopped. It felt like it took hours. Once the blade stopped I reached for the handle flashlight.

I have two questions you all (or as they say here y'all). Any one else have a simiar experince? Any one know of and have any backup lighting in their shop?

Scott
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Scott I was having alot of power outages...of course mine were GFCI related. I do however have 4 LED haedlamps I keep within the shop, I use them mostly when I am outside splitting wood at night but they do come in handy when the GFCI pops or if the power just goes out. I would imagine that your odds of having a similiar experience would be low, that is unless you are ripping wood with a table saw all day.

My advice, keep some sort of battery operated light in a known location at all times.
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

You know that something like this only happens to those who are not prepared for it. If you have prepared for it, it will never happen. I have an emergency light that will come on if the lights go out. Not once in the 10 years since I put it up has it happened. But if I took it down, guess when it would happen????
      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
      Jean De La Bruyere...

l
      Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Good job you had your wits about you.
        I have seen solar powered spotlights for yards that could be rigged in the shop. They wouldn't come on unless there was a blackout.
        It would not cost much to put a couple in there just in case.

Only down side is the light would be on when you left the shop.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

So, if you buy a lottery ticket and plan how you'd like to spend your winnings, you won't win, whereas if you just contribute to a scheme at work and forget about your contributions you'll be guaranteed success? Hmmmm.... sounds promising !

Actually, I don't buy lottery tickets. It means my chances of winning are statistically about the same as someone who does.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

hi scott
            thank god for a clear head eh! how about wearing one of those head flashlight things, that way should the light go out again, you just reach up to your head, and you dont have to search for a light.
            http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Emergency lights are a lot cheaper than surgery to reattach a limb. If you work at night with table saws, etc. it would be a good investment. I know that if I ever loose a finger in my shop my wife will probably pad-lock my shop!
              Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
              Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Hi Y'all, I have a suggestion that may work for alot of people fo backup lighting. We had a hunting cabin that I wired up some standard cheap porcelin light fixtures and installed 12 volt DC light bulbs. I took my boat batteries as a power source and we had as much light as any AC lighting. Take a small corner of your shop or under a bench set up a battery and connect a trickle charger and it stays charged. Just make sure that you turn those lights on with your other lighting. That way you can at least see if you lose power. Steve
                If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                My Gallery
                [email protected]

Comment

Google "emergency lighting" and find tons of emergency lighting sellers. Including this inexpensive one.

Also, see my recent post on adding a safety switch to keep that power tool off once you lose power.
                  Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

Mike
                    I have one of those emergency lights that I keep wherever I am working. It's one of those that is plugged in and kicks in when the power goes off. It lights the whole room with dual bulbs.
                    Diane
                    Dragon
                    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                    Owner of a Dewalt 788
                    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

$19.00 to save a finger or two is surely a wise investment. Mike thanks for finding that for me. You can bet one will be on it's way to my house this week.

Scott
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hope it works for you. I didn't realize they were that inexpensive 'til I looked for one.
                        Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

Living in the country with what we call "hold your breath" electric, outtages here are quite normal. Sometimes a couple times a day over the warmer months. Beside installing a generator to take care of refrigerated items for the l-o-n-g outtages, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple $20 emergency lights. They have 2 moveable spots and plug into an outlet. Power goes out-lights come on. I mounted one in the hallway upstairs and in the breezeway between the house and garage. I haven't needed one yet for the shop because I'm usually pooped out by the time the sun goes down and need to go in anyway.
                          Pop
                          Delta 16" 40-530
                          Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X