Turning Purpleheart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Purpleheart

Hey turners...how is purpleheart to turn? I've got a commission to turn a wand (Harry Potter style) from purpleheart for a holiday present, and I've never turned it before...any hints?

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Bob-- you can turn it to the left.
    You can turn it to the right.
    You can even stand it on its end .
    Turn it over and then back again .
    Snicker- snicker and a few chuckles-
    Sorry Bob but I couldn't resist.
    Love ya
    ( and hit me softly with a feather please )
    Sharon

Comment

Sharp tools, ride the bevel and you'll be fine Bob! A little harder than some woods, softer than others.
      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Purpleheart is nice to turn.as long as your tools are sharp, and your technique is right, it turns really nice. Once turned and sanded good, it will take a nice finish and be almost mirrorlike. If its not purple enough, put it where Mr. Sun can shine on it for a few hours. Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hi Bob;
          Purpleheart is one of my favorites. Only thing that stops me from turning more of it is the price of it. It turns good with sharp tools as mentioned and sands good and takes a great finish. Like Dale said, to renew the color put it in the sun if it turns brown but sometimes it requires days rather than hours to bring it back to its natural purple.
          The bottom one here is purpleheart and birdseye maple. Two of my favorite woods in a great combination.
          I have an expensive taste when it comes to wood.
          Fortunately small turnings like pens take very little wood so many friends send me their cut offs from bigger projects because they don't like to throw nice pieces out .
          W.Y.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I guess I'm too heavy handed...I snapped it today when I was nearly finished. It was a clean break, so I wood-glued it back together...I guess I'll be finishing it the rest of the way with my power carving tools...

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
              I guess I'm too heavy handed...I snapped it today when I was nearly finished. It was a clean break, so I wood-glued it back together...I guess I'll be finishing it the rest of the way with my power carving tools...

Bob
              Thin stuff is FUN, isn't it!
              ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

It was supposed to be a wand like you see in Harry Potter, and at the last minute (after thinning down the wand part) I decided to reshape the handle...my mistake!

Bob
                www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Don't feel bad Bob- we learn from our mistakes

some times it just takes us a little longer when we make the same mistake over and over again

Sharon

Comment

Another mistake was waiting until today to turn it <GRIN>

Thats a mistake I make over and over and over <GRIN>

Bob
                    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I"m surprised to hear purpleheart is expensive...here in michigan it's the cheapest hardwood I can find...pretty comparable to poplar in price..heck i think pine is pricier.
                      And I'm not surprised you broke it Bob...I wouldn't know about turning it but carving it sucks, it's hard and it's brittle. I've broke many a finger off the bottom of my G4 cutting purpleheart...perhaps I should send them some for their demo team.
                      Jeff Powell

Comment

I've got some new power carving bits to review too...so...

and a good dust collector!

Bob
                        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Bob;
                          Sorry to hear it snapped on you. That's a bummer.
                          You need a steady rest like this for skinny turnings like that. I got mine on sale last year for $29.00 Cdn funds and I see it is on sale for the same price again now.
                          W.Y.

Comment

Jeff.
                            It seems all the good harwoods are in the east. It just doesn't grow out west here except a few people have planted some hardwood trees on their property over the years which seem to survive but they get right pouty if you take a chain saw to their front lawn where they are growing
                            I am surrounded by evergreen forests here in the Rocky mountains and the rest is just cottonwood and some poplar and a few birch.
                            Anything else comes from out east and the price of shipping and several middle men on the way makes it very expensive.
                            W.Y.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by markdavd
                              I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                              Today, 09:45 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              by NC Scroller
                              My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                              Today, 07:42 AM
                            • will8989
                              by will8989
                              None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                              Today, 12:20 AM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                              The bags seem easier on the surface.
                              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                              Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                              Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                            Working...
                            X