X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcel in Longueuil
    replied
    Todd,

Your saw is probably on the same circuit as the CGFI outlet (connected in series)
    The CGFI is likely 15 amps, probably the same as the circuit breaker that circuit is hooked to.

You need to check how many amps your saw pulls, and don't forget to add one or two amps to be safe at startup since it normally will peak then (the motor works harder to start the saw than to keep it running).

You then need to check the other items on that circuit and add them all up to see the total amps you are pulling. As has been mentioned, a CGFI outlet is normally (but not always) located at the beginning of the "chain", so the total amperage is going through it.

If the problem is recent, you may want to make sure of a few things: have you added a new item to the list (shopvac, dust collector, magnifying lamp, radio, tv...)? if yes, then unplug that and try to see if it resolves the problem. If it does, you need to find another outlet for that item...

if it hasn't or if there are no new items, then you may want to check all receptacles for loose wires. close the breaker, open each outlet and check that all wires are properly attached and tighten to make sure they are. This could also be the cause of the tripping and be a warning sign of a possible fire hazard (wire detaches and causes short-circuit= possible electrical fire)

If all of the above don't solve the problem, and you are pulling well below the 15 amp maximum, then you may want to invest a few dollars in an electrician to have a look at it ( since you describe yourself as electrically challenged) you could have damaged wires in the walls.

Also: Is it only the saw that trips it? have you tried another circuit to see if the saw trips the breaker? It could be the saw that is defective.

Removing the CGFI outlet may sound like a good idea, but it isn't necessarily one. If it's tripping then there is a reason, and that is what their purpose is: by tripping they tell you something is wrong: ignoring them is not the solution.

If you do decide to go that route, and replace it, then I would like to make a very logical and smart recommendation: change the batteries in your smoke detectors, make sure your insurance policy gives you sufficient coverage, and don't go to bed too drunk to wake up in case of emergency.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.
    Sincerely,
    Marcel in Longueuil

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    Just caught your post Rolf, I will see what is out there for heavy duty outlets, this thing looks like a standard household GFCI you would find in a bathroom.

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    I suppose I could change the thing out, that much I know how to do. The GFCI plug is on the wall above a work bench. We would need to flood at biblical proportions before the water touched it.

I do have new outlets in a cabinet I could use, I'll wait for some more feedback before I go that route.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    In our area code says you need a GFI in the garage and workshop.
    That said when I put new electrics in my shop. The first outlet in the chain is a GFI the rest are tied into it. It is a heavy duty GFI and I never have any problems. The GFI outlets do go bad so I would replace it with a heavy duty (higher current rating) new one.

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    I'm electricity challenged myself..........

that said, I'd guess it is there for a reason - any chance you have a water or sewer pipe near that plug?

Those GFCI plugs do go bad (DAMHIKT), might be as simple as replacing it with another.....

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    started a topic Brown Outs in the shop

Brown Outs in the shop

Lately I have been having intermittant problems with a GFI outlet popping off when I turn my saw on, my saw is not even plugged into this outlet. I did try the easy fix of unplugging some items from other outlets (battery chargers, dust collector and radio) but I am still having issues. Is there a problem with my saw drawing to many amps (guessing) or am I on the verge of a larger problem?

I have no idea when it comes to electrical work, I see an outlet and I plug things in.

BTW, the GFI outlet was in the house when we bought it...do i need this thing at all, it isn't in a place where it could ever get wet.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
    Reply to Fall issue
    by will8989
    Now is the time for puzzles for me. Impulse buy. I make kids puzzles mostly out of poplar, Bruce’s “pay” from the sawmill and sell them for $10-$15. Will check it out. Waiting for my copy of the magazine.
    Today, 08:58 AM
  • will8989
    And the beat goes on…
    by will8989
    Yesterday starts with my son very loudly coming in the front door, he’s 6’4” and doesn’t do anything quietly. “Mom call the gas company, I smell gas out front.” “Of course you do, it’s the pipe that vents gas outside. I’ve called them in the past, checked it out and working like it’s...
    Today, 08:50 AM
  • KarlB
    Reply to Fall issue
    by KarlB
    Well I just looked under New Releases on Fox Chapels site and found the book. Under "preview" you can see a number of patterns just not all of them. I am glad they showed at least a few of them and I know why they would show them all. Maybe they could show however, really small images of...
    Yesterday, 09:03 PM
  • meflick
    Reply to Fall issue
    by meflick
    Will look forward to getting my Fall issue. Well, if you already cut all those puzzles, you don’t really need that book now do you. 😏😉☺️
    Yesterday, 08:08 PM
  • mtwoodguy
    Reply to Hello all, new here.
    by mtwoodguy
    Welcome! From Reno Nevada. It's nice that you have some metal working tools also.
    Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Working...
X