Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Todd since you brought the topic up.....
    Thomas Crapper

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    As with any good conversation...it eventually turns to crap.

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    I would expect that you have the 4 liter than...those of us who have to use the 1.6 liter version are FORCED to think about it!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Hunting is a very contentious issue on this side of the Pond, Jeff. The government recently outlawed hunting with dogs but deliberately made the legislation so woolly as to be unenforceable.

Some deer hunting does take place but it's all on big estates and organised by wealthy landowners. Do you remember the stories of Robin Hood and how so many serfs were outlawed for hunting the King's deer? Things haven't changed much.

There's a totally different mindset about firearms in Europe anyway. I know Americans are staunch believers in their right to bear weapons whilst on this side of the Atlantic strict legislation governs their ownership. It's one of the biggest cultural differences between us.

Toilets. I don't know the answer to your question. It's not a topic I like to think about too deeply .

Gill

Leave a comment:

• workin for wood
    replied
    How about Deer season, is there Deer and do you have a season to hunt them?
    also, do you have the same 1.6 liter toilets we have, or the 4 liter ones like they have in Canada?

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Hardly anyone in the UK uses imperial measurements nowadays except for a few quirks like miles instead of kilometres when measuring the distance between towns. We also still get our milk and beer in pints, although I've noticed that supermarkets sell milk in litres and cans of beer are normally 500ml. Most of our cook books have dual measurements and television chefs are required to use metric, but most of us still use imperial in the kitchen.

Metric is good. I'm from a generation that was brought up to use both measurement standards; I find metric so much easier and more precise.

Gill

Leave a comment:

• utbva
    replied
    You are certianly right! But most of us that use metrics like it.

BTW for you Brits. How did it go or how is it going now that you are changing to Metrics?

Leave a comment:

• PuzzledMoose
    replied
    Originally posted by BobD
    I agree! My job would be so much easier if we switched to metric! I spend hours searching through articles to stack fractions!!!

Bob

I LIKE fractions - they make sense to me .. Bet there's not many people in the US would like to change to km ....

Leave a comment:

• PuzzledMoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Rivari

BTW, what is up with the term "Cheers"...they used it for everything.
    LOL well not everything but it's frequently used as "Thankyou". Sue thought it was weird when we lived in England - just seems normal to me ... At least we don't put "eh" on the ends of sentences like they do in Canada ..

Cheers, eh ..lol

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    Dated observation about those on the other side of the pond.

When I was still in the sandbox I over heard a Brit officer scolding his soldiers about something they screwed up...it was the most polite sounding butt chewing I've ever heard.

BTW, what is up with the term "Cheers"...they used it for everything.

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    I agree! My job would be so much easier if we switched to metric! I spend hours searching through articles to stack fractions!!!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• utbva
    replied
    Yes, it does get confusing. I do mechanical design of large machines to shred tires and depeding upon where the machine is going to be used or where it is manufactured, I have to convert from english measuring system to metric or visa versa. I just wish we Americans would get with the rest of the world and switch over to metric. It is so much simpler. It guess it is just too hard to train and old dog.

Leave a comment:

• PuzzledMoose
    replied
    Originally posted by CanadianScroller

We had a portable phonograph....Yes I AM OLD... which we brought from England back in 65. It used large square batteries which we could not get here in Canada.. Oh I forgot. it was really old because it had Tubes in it and in England they call them Valves.
    Hey I remember those batteries - but then I'm older than you ....lol It stretched the definition of portable having those things in radios ..:-) I rember valves in TVs too - and having to wait while the set "warmed up" .. not to mention the fact that early TV pics made everything look as if events were always happening in severe blizzards..

I didn't realise until I moved here that DVDs were in a different format in N America. The DVD player I had in England was a multiregion one so anything would play on it - the one here had to be "hacked" to get it to play UK DVDs.

we drive on different sides of the road
    Well in theory - I wish someone would tell some of the geriatric farmers round here which side to drive on - grrrr!!!

It is amazing we can even communicate with each other on the net.
    The net's OK .. it's written communication..lol It's spoken English that's the problem for me at times . I was recently talking to one of my neighbours and he mentioned a relative called Dawn .. or so I thought .. it actually turned out to be Don! So out of curiousity I asked Sue how she pronounced the two words and found that around here at least they're phonetically identical!!

On the other hand there IS a difference between the words bear and bare when she says them.

I'm just glad I'll never have to teach about homophones in a N American school ...

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    always =

I think we really need a sarcasm icon

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl
    It is amazing we can even communicate with each other on the net.
    Sometimes we don't !

Gill

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X