No announcement yet.

Couple of questions for you Brits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dated observation about those on the other side of the pond.

When I was still in the sandbox I over heard a Brit officer scolding his soldiers about something they screwed up...it was the most polite sounding butt chewing I've ever heard.

BTW, what is up with the term "Cheers"...they used it for everything.
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by Rivari

BTW, what is up with the term "Cheers"...they used it for everything.
      LOL well not everything but it's frequently used as "Thankyou". Sue thought it was weird when we lived in England - just seems normal to me ... At least we don't put "eh" on the ends of sentences like they do in Canada ..

Cheers, eh ..lol
      Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
        I agree! My job would be so much easier if we switched to metric! I spend hours searching through articles to stack fractions!!!

Bob

I LIKE fractions - they make sense to me .. Bet there's not many people in the US would like to change to km ....
        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

You are certianly right! But most of us that use metrics like it.

BTW for you Brits. How did it go or how is it going now that you are changing to Metrics?
          Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
          and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Hardly anyone in the UK uses imperial measurements nowadays except for a few quirks like miles instead of kilometres when measuring the distance between towns. We also still get our milk and beer in pints, although I've noticed that supermarkets sell milk in litres and cans of beer are normally 500ml. Most of our cook books have dual measurements and television chefs are required to use metric, but most of us still use imperial in the kitchen.

Metric is good. I'm from a generation that was brought up to use both measurement standards; I find metric so much easier and more precise.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

How about Deer season, is there Deer and do you have a season to hunt them?
              also, do you have the same 1.6 liter toilets we have, or the 4 liter ones like they have in Canada?
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Hunting is a very contentious issue on this side of the Pond, Jeff. The government recently outlawed hunting with dogs but deliberately made the legislation so woolly as to be unenforceable.

Some deer hunting does take place but it's all on big estates and organised by wealthy landowners. Do you remember the stories of Robin Hood and how so many serfs were outlawed for hunting the King's deer? Things haven't changed much.

There's a totally different mindset about firearms in Europe anyway. I know Americans are staunch believers in their right to bear weapons whilst on this side of the Atlantic strict legislation governs their ownership. It's one of the biggest cultural differences between us.

Toilets. I don't know the answer to your question. It's not a topic I like to think about too deeply .

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I would expect that you have the 4 liter than...those of us who have to use the 1.6 liter version are FORCED to think about it!

Bob
                  www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

As with any good conversation...it eventually turns to crap.
                    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Todd since you brought the topic up.....
                      Thomas Crapper
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X