Couple of questions for you Brits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions for you Brits

Hi folks, got a couple questions bugging me and I need a Brit to answer them. I think,
    1st; I'd like to know what time it is in England, it's 7:08 PM here in Ontario.
    2nd; and ya may all find this funny and if you do please don't laugh out loud, I will hear you and it WILL hurt my feelings, I'd like to know if batteries are the same in Britain as they are in Canada. I will be sending a clock to Scotland and I need to make sure the recipient can get the batteries for it.
    TIA
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Marsha -

We are five hours ahead of Ontario. It was 00.08 when you were writing.

Mostly we have the same batteries, eg AAA, AA etc. What sort are in the clock?

Chris
    "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, I'm pretty sure they're AA.
      and BTW I did hear a little snicker.
      Thanks
      Marsha
      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Hi Marsha

Here's a useful site for you to calculate the differences between various time zones:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/tim...time/index.htm

At 7.32 EST in Canada, it's 00.32 (half past midnight-ish) here in Blighty.

I should imagine your friends in Scotland will be able to find suitable batteries; after all, many scrollers over here import clocks from suppliers in the USA. We use batteries that are given codes such as AA, LR6 or MN1500, so if you're familiar with those classifications in Canada the chances are that you're using the same batteries as us.

Hope this helps.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
          We use batteries that are given codes such as AA, LR6 or MN1500, so if you're familiar with those classifications in Canada the chances are that you're using the same batteries as us.
          Gill
          OK AA and AAA I understand, Gill, but how did I survive 49 years in the UK without hearing of LR6 and MN1500 - they sound like robots .... What are they? Watch batteries?
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by chrispuzzle
            Marsha -

We are five hours ahead of Ontario.
            Chris
            Yes you are right now - there is one week in the year though when it's 6 hours difference because in the Spring UK Daylight Saving (BST) started a week before Ontario's.

However, just to make things more "interesting" I just read this:

"NEW! In 2007 Daylight Saving Time will begin three weeks earlier on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November. Currently Daylight Saving Time starts on the first Sunday in April and ends on the last Sunday in October. This pattern will be followed by all provinces which observe daylight saving time and each province is amending their legislation to reflect this change."
            Ian

Comment

That was a pretty good question Marsha, because far as I know, they have a different household electric system than we to here in North America.

Can we verify that toilet water flushes counter clockwise in Australia too?
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
                That was a pretty good question Marsha, because far as I know, they have a different household electric system than we to here in North America.
                Yup we do - 240v is standard. None of this weedy N American voltage ...

Originally posted by workin for wood
                Can we verify that toilet water flushes counter clockwise in Australia too?
                As far as i know that's a myth .. see here .. http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html

I've only been S of the equator once and I forgot to look ..lol
                Ian

Comment

That's an interesting site, but they don't really say for sure what's up with the toilet water. Perhaps an Auzzie would know for sure. What makes sense to me is north of the equator is clockwise, south is counter and if your at the equator the water goes straight down, lol. I need firm proof with an Auzzie flushing the toilet right now. New Zealander would work too of course. I've driven a million miles with this question debated in my head, it's time to put it to rest.
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

Those are good questions Marsha.

We had a portable phonograph....Yes I AM OLD... which we brought from England back in 65. It used large square batteries which we could not get here in Canada.. Oh I forgot. it was really old because it had Tubes in it and in England they call them Valves.

It is amazing the differences in the things we take for granted .
                    TV signals in UK and Europe us a system called PAL here in North America we us NTSC, which the people on the other side of the pond calle Never The Same Color.

Technologies on both sides of the pond have evolved at the same rate, yet we drive on different sudes of the road, use different voltages in our houses and even different cycles in our electrical systems. It is amazing we can even communicate with each other on the net.
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by Carl
                      It is amazing we can even communicate with each other on the net.
                      Sometimes we don't !

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

always =

I think we really need a sarcasm icon
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller

We had a portable phonograph....Yes I AM OLD... which we brought from England back in 65. It used large square batteries which we could not get here in Canada.. Oh I forgot. it was really old because it had Tubes in it and in England they call them Valves.
                          Hey I remember those batteries - but then I'm older than you ....lol It stretched the definition of portable having those things in radios ..:-) I rember valves in TVs too - and having to wait while the set "warmed up" .. not to mention the fact that early TV pics made everything look as if events were always happening in severe blizzards..

I didn't realise until I moved here that DVDs were in a different format in N America. The DVD player I had in England was a multiregion one so anything would play on it - the one here had to be "hacked" to get it to play UK DVDs.

we drive on different sides of the road
                          Well in theory - I wish someone would tell some of the geriatric farmers round here which side to drive on - grrrr!!!

It is amazing we can even communicate with each other on the net.
                          The net's OK .. it's written communication..lol It's spoken English that's the problem for me at times . I was recently talking to one of my neighbours and he mentioned a relative called Dawn .. or so I thought .. it actually turned out to be Don! So out of curiousity I asked Sue how she pronounced the two words and found that around here at least they're phonetically identical!!

On the other hand there IS a difference between the words bear and bare when she says them.

I'm just glad I'll never have to teach about homophones in a N American school ...
                          Ian

Comment

Yes, it does get confusing. I do mechanical design of large machines to shred tires and depeding upon where the machine is going to be used or where it is manufactured, I have to convert from english measuring system to metric or visa versa. I just wish we Americans would get with the rest of the world and switch over to metric. It is so much simpler. It guess it is just too hard to train and old dog.
                            Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
                            and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

I agree! My job would be so much easier if we switched to metric! I spend hours searching through articles to stack fractions!!!

Bob
                              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X