Scald Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scald Treatment

No, this post isn't about scalding wood with a view to shaping it. If you've got a queasy tummy, don't read any further.

Unfortunately, it's about treating scalded fingers. Yesterday I managed to get a blast of steam over my hand (whilst removing foil from a chicken that was roasting in the oven) and a couple of fingers have blistered quite badly. I was hoping to leave them to heal naturally but one blister has burst, removing the skin from the middle knuckle to the finger nail. It looks rather ugly and feels annoyingly uncomfortable.

It's so rare for me to injure myself that I'm not sure what would be the best course of treatment. Suggestions welcome! And how should I deal with the remaining blisters?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Ouch! I have only had one severe scald and that was enough!

I am sure you know to cool the scald off with cold water.
    Most of the advice I have been given or read says to apply clean dry dressings on the scald, and perhaps wrap it with a baggie.

Some say you can use an Afterburn spray to kill the pain but others say it wil slow down the healing process.

Keep it clean and dry Gill.

I hope the chicken tasted good after all of your suffering!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I've heard vaseline works well and helps prevent blistering. Common grease like farmers use can also help relieve pain.

Sorry to hear about your painful experience.

No photos?
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

The chicken was succulent and tasted gorgeous, despite being wrapped in plastic by Asda (Walmart) when I bought it. Basting the bird makes all the difference, so long as you are careful .

No photos, Mike. For one thing, I can't hold and operate a camera right now; for another, you really wouldn't thank me. There ain't no way I'm going to be feeding wood into a scrollsaw in the immediate future .

In the meantime I'll try to keep the burst blister dry and clean. Thanks for the advice .

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

OUCH ! !
          Sounds serious enough for professional help from a doctor .
          W.Y.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Medicine

Gill,
            For this one I had to go to my local expert: my wife. She has done that same thing to herself several times, once bad enough that she had blisters similar to yours. She went to the doctor and he prescribed something called SSD. It's a topical cream with 1% Silver Sulfadiazine that can be applied to an open blister or the exposed skin after the blister peels away. Your local pharmacist (chemist) may be able to help you out with something similar. She also agrees with everybody else to keep it clean, dry, and covered as it heals.

As for the vaseline, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. I heard about people using that to help cool the burn, but once the blister pops there is risk of infection if that stuff gets inside.
            Jim
            DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Originally posted by Jim8Mad
              Gill,

As for the vaseline, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. I heard about people using that to help cool the burn, but once the blister pops there is risk of infection if that stuff gets inside.
              Whoops, didn't realize that. How about butter?
              Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
              www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Ouch, Gill!

That sulfa ointment sounds like the ticket, real burn unit stuff.

Best wishes for rapid healing,

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                  Whoops, didn't realize that. How about butter?
                  Butter is one of those old home remedies that doesn't reaaly work. Submerge the burned part under ice cold water as soon as possible after getting burned. Don't break open the blisters and after they break on their own keep them clean and dry. If you can get the sulfa ointment use it.
                  Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Ouch! You have my sympathies, Gill. I did something very similar a few years ago while i was at my mother's - got my finger in the steam from a boiling kettle. What made it worse was that the steam hit the signet ring that I used to wear and the blister came up about an inch high around it despite putting it in icy water immediately.

I did go to the local accident and emergency to get it seen to - they treated it with a Burneze type spray, removed the ring, burst the blister and put on an antiseptic gel before dressing it - with an enormous dressing!

Apart from the fact that the dressing had to be changed afte 72 hours I seem to remember that they said that the most important thing was to keep it dry and clean.

Antiseptic cream is a VERY good idea. An infection is potentially worse than the scald itself.

Hope it heals up soon.

Ian
                    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

I went to the local pharmacy for some ointment as suggested. The pharmacist examined the wound, grimaced, and refused to serve me anything. She just advised me to trot along to hospital for the medics to have a look-see.

So I've now got a massive dressing on my dominant hand and can barely type, much less use a scroll saw. I'm on anti-biotics until the weekend when I have to return to hospital for a change of dressing.

In the meantime, no peeling vegetables or washing up - I've got to keep it dry .

Gill

Comment

[QUOTE

In the meantime, no peeling vegetables or washing up - I've got to keep it dry

Gill[/QUOTE]

Any excuse ..lol You could always put a plastic bag over your whole hand and put a rubber band round it - then wash up quickly before the circulations stops ...

When I did mine I had a pharmacist right next door .. my mum's neighbour .. and it was her who insisted I go to the hospital despite my kicking screaming and protesting ..lol I hate accident and emerg in hospitals! Think it stems from being in them 4 times when i was a student years ago - 2 of the vists being in the space of 8 hours!!!!!
                        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

My wife has a bunch of the ointment mentioned above (one from a trip to the ER, the other from our family doctor)...it's great for the little burns you get around the house (touching a hot stove, etc.) but it really shines for sunburn...slather that stuff on, and your sunburn is gone overnight!

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Gill..sorry to hear of your injury..burns are really painful!!
                            Aloe might help..ouch no matter what tho..hang in there..hope the chicken was delicious!

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Good call Sue. I forgot about Aloe.

I was in Hawaii in my teens and I got 3rd degree burnds from the wind and the sun.
                              My arms were actually bleeding.
                              It was like a movie, A local saw me and took a machette and cut some Aloe plants put them on me and told me I would be well in a few days.
                              It was awesome no pain no scars.

I don't know if the lotions work as well as the real plant but the real plant is terrific.

I have matured a little since then and I know to get out of the sun before I catch on fire.
                              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Today, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X