Back in the shop again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the shop again.

3 weeks ago today I had back surgery. It was on the lowest disc L5 and was degenerated and compressed, so now it's fuzed. I spent the entire week before surgery getting a lot of things ready for today. I knew I needed to ease back into things so that is what I am sticking with. I will be on a 10lb weight limit for another month yet and no twisting or bending. But this week will be cutting patterns and gluing them onto the wood. I have all the wood laid out in smaller lighter sizes as I knew I'd be on this weight restriction. Once I get that done which will probably take most of the week, pacing myself here for once. Then I will move on to some sanding. I have about 15 intarsia projects all cut and ready for shaping and sanding. So there is another weeks worth of work all laid out. They are all small projects 6 of them being teddy bears. So I am very excited about being productive again. My wife is a RN and will keep me in check with the pacing myself. She got the whip out the other day. This is not the one for getting stuff done, but the take it easy, you are done for the day whip.
    On another high note, today was the 1st day I was able to tie my own shoes again. For the most part I have been wearing some slip on shoes. But they want me walking and going a bit further each time. So I started with a 1/4 mile the 1st couple of days and progressed from there. Today was 2 miles and I will keep it at that and now work on speed. When I take these walks I want to wear my good athletic shoes that need to be tied. I was relying on the wife to tie them for me. Not anymore, I am now free to fly again.
    I will never take tying my own shoes for granted again. Humbling experience.

Glad to see you back in the shop. Take your time we can wait to see pictures.your health comes first. is your wife's name ALL State [I]'ll know yourwill be in good hands.
    Wishing you Good Halth.an Happy scroll sawing

Comment

Best wishes for your mending journey, take it slow, we will leave the light on for ya here.
      Nice reminder about the simple things in life we often take for granted.....to tie our own shoes.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Congrats on the return to the shop and successful surgery.NOW listen to your wife and doc and behave.I didn't listen and was superman after surgery and messed up bad.
        Tony

Comment

Glad you are getting well enough to play in the shop.
          Knowing you have an encourager to take it easy will help.
          Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
          Desert Woodcrafters
          Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Sounds like you have been reborn. Congrats.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I know must be a really good feeling to be able to do some work in your shop after just standing around looking at it. But please take it easy
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

This recovery is going slow. I am talking Continental Drift slow. I am following everyone's advice as well as my own. I am good for about 1 hour a day and then I know I better stop. I am not supposed to bend or twist. I challenge you to go in your shop and do anything without doing either. I overdid it yesterday and can certainly feel it today. I will take a day or 2 off and do more of what I am supposed to be doing, taking it easy.
                I am chomping at the bit to get back to normal living.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X