Unusual wood and use of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual wood and use of it

On a trip to Alaska a few years ago, we saw this burl wood growing in forests. When I had a chance I bought 3 11 foot trunks. We put it on top of the truck and brought it home. It was really intended for another use but instead this is what we come up with. My friend Margaret, her grandson Forest, and I put it together. We put 420 lbs of cement in this hole before we finished. Then finished the hole with sand before we put the rocks around the base. I'm going to allow it to turn gray before sealing it. And of course the beauty bark needs to be freshened. We had lots of fun designing and installing this wonderful structure! Now wouldn't you like to live across the street from me??? (The man in the photo is my neighbor - his wife kept saying "Remember I have to look at it." He just thinks I"m nuts.)
    Attached Files
    DeWalt 788

Having lived in Roswell, NM some years ago I'd say not only does it look nice but it appears positively "out of this world." I love it.

I also believe that Carter-Johnson should show it to his son. Maybe you'll get a brief shot of it in a Hollywood movie! Just imagine the Twilight Zone story line if these things started spreading in your neighborhood . . . . as in, nothing ever happened until one day ~ when you planted it! And in Cement - the very thing it needed to sprout and make new plants. . . . .

John
    Last edited by Powakee; 07-09-2012, 09:58 PM.
    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Way too neat and cool.
      Terry
      Got Moose?

Comment

What the...........how did you put it on your scroll saw?......just kidding.
        Looks like a good way to measure all the snow you will get next winter.
        Awesome piece of art Sally, sounds like you made some good memories hauling, and installing it.
        Thanks for sharing your Kodak moments with us. cool photos smiley.gif
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

What a wonderful and unique sculpture, Sally! I hope it brings happiness to you every time you walk out your door. I bet it will look even nicer with age.

Do you know what kind of wood it is?
          Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

I think it is wonderful and I would really like it across the street from me......better yet, in my front yard. Great find!
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Sally - now if your sculpture isn't imaginative use of natural resources I don't know what is! I'd love this in my garden. Thanks for sharing it with us
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

this is the tallest gourd tree that I had ever seen

Comment

Sally, that is one beautiful attraction in your front yard. So different & looks very nice right where it is. Too bad it won't reseed itself for more, HA. You have one nice addition to your landscape & thanks for showing us. Never saw one before.
                  PERK

Comment

Thanks for all your positive comments! My neighbors are really giving me the business - they really have no imagination. It's not the first time they have collectively thought I was nuts. Oh well. . .
                    Now John if anyone wants to put it in a movie I just might get rich - yeah!!!
                    And Shawn - I have no idea what kind of wood it is. I never even thought to ask. I wonder what kind of wood it is???
                    Everyone has made me feel very positive about it. Thanks!
                    DeWalt 788

Comment

I happen to know one of Sally's neighbors . . . . and he just doesn't understand why she isn't making something more useful of that dang tree. But, in the end, he said he'd probably forget about it in a few days.
                      Attached Files
                      I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                      About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                      "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Cute chuckle, John!
                        DeWalt 788

Comment

It will look fantastic at Christmas with little twinkle lights on it, too!!

I really like it, Sally! Very creative, artistic and striking.

Good job!

Nancy in AZ
                          A clean house is a sign of a broken scroll saw!

Comment

Very nice "sculpture"!!! I'd wager those are black spruce. Count the number of growth rings, you will be amazed how old those trees were!
                            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I will bearfretworks - thanks for the suggestion.
                              DeWalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X