Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carver/Scroll sawer good outcome?

Hi folks,
    I am a wood carver and just decided to add in scroll saw work, as I want to eventually be able to do shows and sell both I know people say you can't make a living at this, but I was hoping it would make a great supplemental income? And also trying to figure out how I could incorporate the two together. I would love to be able to do scroll sawn items with carved items on them too. Anyhow I posted this here since I wanted to show a few wood carvings and really did not want to put it where it was not supposed to be. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
    Thank you.
    Sean Reynolds
    Attached Files

I love the wizard/castle bark wood piece the most, and the guy with the ax in his head is hilarious.

GREAT stuff...!!!!!

WELCOME....
    This is the absolute best place on the net for scroll sawyers. Folks here are so generous with their experiences. I've been scrolling for over 20 years, and I'm still learning things here...

I bought my first scroll saw to cut rough outs for carving. That was 21 years ago. I got heavily into the scroll saw, and kind of ignored carving for a while.
    Then I started back into the carving. I'm better, and have some experience from restarting it. It made me more objective about my approach. But the scroll saw will always be my heart and soul.
    You can see my stuff in the links below..
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I love your work. I especially like the humor aspect. Do you have a website? Feel free to share more.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Oh yea... Please do...
        We love photos around here...
        Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Thanks Jim, That Wizard sold today as a matter of fact hehe. Yeah I am really liking scroll sawing so far. Got a lot of hard work ahead to get good but I am up for the challenge. Your work is just amazing by the way

Mike, I have a blog, but have not updated it in a few weeks now. My carving has slowed to a stop since I got the scroll saw lol.
          Carvings by Sean
          Also have an Etsy hop too. Guess maybe I should add it to my sig. I have had it for a long time just never used it until I think this may or June.
          carvingsbysean on Etsy

Comment

Great stuff Sean, wish I had that much talent. Keep the pics coming.
            Pat
            Woodworking is Therapy.... some of us need more therapy than others.

Comment

If you're this good at carving, then you'll have the patience to scroll.
              I've got to warn you...It can be very addictive...
              Look around in the members gallery. There are some incredibly talented folks around here.
              and there are some characters here too...You know who you are...As Mike, (wood-n-things), would say, the only dumb question is the one not asked.....
              Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Sweeeeeet stuff Sean, Santa is awesome, we have a few carvers around here. Certainly lots of valuable information, check the stickeys too. Patterns in the Vault submitted by generous members. Come by often, and don't be shy with your photos, not mandatory to post but much appreciated.
                Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Hi Sean - welcome to the forum and thanks for showing your work. There's no doubt that you are an accomplished carver and like Jim's comments I'm sure you have the patience for scrolling. Once you get up and running do one thing for me. Keep a sense of humour in some of your pieces. Its something that is sure to be appreciated here on the forum.

Looking forward to see examples of your scrolling work and I'll echo the comments of the previous replies. if you need help or advice please shout.
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

I am also a former carver that plays with scroll saws a lot. I do a lot of double bevel inlay of poplar and maple into cedar with my scroll saw and then carve in details on that inlay. I make and sell cedar boxes at festivals and street fairs. My sales do fund my hobby, including some equipment upgrades on occasion. Here are some photos of what I am referring to.
                    Attached Files
                    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I think it is great to incorporate styles. I am have tried to. and have not been happy with the results. Please keep us posted.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

You are good!! I really like the axe in the head.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Nice work! Axe in the head guy looks how I often feel. Keep on sharing, and thanks.
                          Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

Thanks everyone
                            Jim That is really neat! Are you using a V tool on those?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanR View Post
                              Thanks everyone
                              .......... Are you using a V tool on those?
                              Yes I use a "V" tool on my mastercarver and then fill the groove with a mixture of white glue and cedar dust/powder from my orbital sander. Spread it with an old credit card and sand smooth after it dries.
                              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                                Reply to Pattern Vault
                                by dottyblues
                                Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                                I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                                In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                                I also added the...
                                Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Supermax
                                by will8989
                                Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Help help
                                by will8989
                                Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                                Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Pattern Vault
                                by KarlB
                                Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                                Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                              Working...
                              X