Big Ben's name is changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ben's name is changed.

Just found this on the the Dutch news paper.

London-the tower which houses Big Ben changes of name. The famous Bell Tower of the British Parliament is now called Elizabeth Tower, as a tribute to the Queen who 60 years on the throne this year.

Big Ben is now called Elizabeth Tower

FD Mike
    SD Mike

Personally, I think that's just stupid...
    It reminds me of how all of the great arenas are named after corporations...
    The Civic center, (where I've seen great concerts), is now called the Dunkin' Donuts center...
    And worst, a place that used to be Great Woods, is now called, the Tweeter center, just boggles my mind...
    STUPID...!!!
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim,
      I had coffee with a friend and both of us agree 110% with you.
      Like you said STUPID.
      FD Mike
      SD Mike

Comment

I agree with you guys about "Big Ben", but when it comes to the arenas, music venues and ball parks, it's all about the mighty DOLLAR. Citi Bank, Wachovia, Citizens Bank, Dunkin' Donuts, etc. all pay huge amounts of money for that billing, money that would have come out of our tax dollars, it used to be that the state (NJ) would sell bonds to build and maintain the venues, that went bust. So as stupid as it is it's about economics.
        Dave
        "Tight's tight, too tight's broken"

My Gallery

Comment

I'm with you Jim & Mike, it is stupid ! All it is, is money, money, money ! Sports is being ruined by it too. Name a Bowl game after a Geiko, for example. That's one of the reason's a family can't afford to attend any type of sports game, unless they have a bank-roll. Too much money in sports, takes all the interest out of watching it ! There, I said my piece.
          PERK

Comment

Another one that agrees

PLAIN STUPID

Comment

There seems to be some confusion here. The bell tower is to be named after Queen Elizabeth. It is an honour which the Houses of Parliament are affording Her Majesty in recognition of her exemplary service to the nation and commonwealth for sixty years; it has nothing whatsoever to do with commercial sponsorship. The bell which is housed within the bell tower will continue to be nick-named Big Ben, as it has been for many decades, although officially its name is The Great Bell.
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill,
                I agree about this; it has nothing to do with commercial sponsorship.
                However it was called Big Ben for many many years. Are they goig to change the name again when the UK gets a new King?
                Somethings it is better to leave it alone.
                FD Mike
                SD Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                  There seems to be some confusion here. The bell tower is to be named after Queen Elizabeth. It is an honour which the Houses of Parliament are affording Her Majesty in recognition of her exemplary service to the nation and commonwealth for sixty years; it has nothing whatsoever to do with commercial sponsorship. The bell which is housed within the bell tower will continue to be nick-named Big Ben, as it has been for many decades, although officially its name is The Great Bell.
                  I agree completely Gill,
                  The Name "Big Ben" relates to one of the bells in the tower. The Tower I believe is just called "The Houses of Parliament Tower", So renaming the tower to honour Queenie, really changes nothing, except bestow an honour on a person who greatly deserves it.

I bet the whole thing will continue to be called "Big Ben" for time infinitum as it erroneously is so today.

Now as for the other comments regarding corporate naming for sponsorship reasons, I am strictly against that as are most Aussies.

We have a cricket competition between the States which has ben called the Sheffield Shield since it's inception. About 10 years ago a dairy company offered sponsorship of the competition if the Name was changed to the "Pura Cup". It was changed, but only for a number of years and after a public outcry it has reverted to the Sheffield Shield.
                  Regards
                  John
                  "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
                  Some of my Stuff
                  Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

I lived in England for a few years, very happy years I might add, and it will always be Big Ben to me.

-Bill
                    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Yes the Queen deserves the honor but probably only for the duration of her reign. Then it would revert to its previous name. How do you change something like that in all the History books, novels, movies and plays that have ever been written in which the TOWER is mentioned! In New York City, they have recently changed the name of the Triboro Bridge to the RFK bridge... but at least it's not the Purina Hog Chow bridge or something else equally stupid.

george
                      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Originally posted by 3_M View Post
                        However it was called Big Ben for many many years. Are they goig to change the name again when the UK gets a new King?
                        Mike, they are not going to re-name Big Ben. Honestly. We have only ever had one previous Diamond Jubilee (Queen Victoria) and it is likely to be at least a century before the possibility of another arises. To mark the occasion of this Diamond Jubilee the tower which houses Big Ben is going to be named after Queen Elizabeth. It's just the tower that is going to be named - not the bell. Big Ben will continue to be known as Big Ben.

Take a look at this BBC link.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

it has been known as BIG BEN as long as i have ever known it,why should it be changed now,a friend of mine made a model of it years....and years ago,and it was this and many more of his pieces that drew me too scrolling originaly,....
                          being irish i personaly dont care what they call it,but when they name somthing .......STICK WITH THE NAME,WHY CAHNGE IT.
                          not doing much
                          and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Ok, I stand corrected about the tower. I never realized that it was just the bell that was named Big Ben.
                            And my regards to the the Queen...

I stand firm on my position of corporations changing the name of great arenas...
                            Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                            No task is too tedious for Art.
                            Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                            Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Originally posted by JimSawyer View Post
                              Ok, I stand corrected about the tower. I never realized that it was just the bell that was named Big Ben.
                              And my regards to the the Queen...

I stand firm on my position of corporations changing the name of great arenas...
                              Me too, Jim, & I stand firm with these so called changes, regarding the Corporations changing the names of everything they sponsor. It's hard enough to keep up with all the names & abreviated names of everything.
                              As to the Queen, that's fine. I don't care what they call the Tower or the Bell, it's still Big Ben to me. Enough !
                              PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X