Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pete00
    replied
    ouch ...my back is sore just looking at that.

Im shipping you a hot chocolate and a hot rum toddy to ease your pain

gulp........oops sorry rum is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Wilson
    replied
    Fortunately I have a couple years supply so I don't anticipate haveing to cut, split & stack any firewood this season, just burn it.

However, my daughter & SIL just bought a house that has a fireplace. They are considering a wood burning insert, which means I'll probably end up cutting firewood for them as well. Maybe they'll see how their heating bills run this winter and wait until next year to get an insert. Either way, the SIL is going to have to learn to handle my old monster maul!

Leave a comment:

• William Young (SE BC)
    replied
    OH my gosh . That is indeed a long heating season.
    We avoid cottonwood around here for heating although there is lots to be had
    because of it being so low in BTU's and creates a lot of ash. The best wood for heating in my area is larch (also known as tamarack) . Very high in BTU output and hardly any ash. I used to go 14 km up the logging road just behind me and cut it myself but I have downsized to just a small car so I don't have my four wheeler truck and trailer anymore.
    Larch is sometimes available for sale in the newspaper but way too expensive for this old woodworker. (woodburner)
    When I lived in Ontario we used to burn oak, ash, maple, beech , ironwood etc. Now those woods are even getting too expensive out here for scrollsawing or turning. We used to go from farm to farm in the wood bee's with the big tractor powered circular saw and all the neighbors pitched in and helped . Those were the good old days.
    W.Y.

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    Originally posted by William Young (SE BC)
    bearfretworks;
    10 to 12 cords to make it through the winter? Are you referring to face cords ? as in 4' x 8' x16 inches or box (or bush) cords like the three that I showed that are are 4' x 4 ' x 8' .
    Yep, 4' X 4' X 8'. Mostly white spruce, cottonwood, and birch. Nights get below freezing in September and the snow stays til mid to late April. We are frost free for sure by Memorial Day weekend. A long heating season up here. And it is MUCH colder in interior Alaska.......

Leave a comment:

• William Young (SE BC)
    replied
    CJoZ;
    White stuff = snow We got a real dump of it the day before the wood arrived .Enough to get the snow ploughs out. Fortunately the ground was not frozen yet so it went away quicky in a couple days.
    But they over did the salting and sanding on the highways like they always do for the first snowfall.

Sharon;
    It must be nice to live in a warm climate like you have. We just got that wood in time. It is going down to minus 8 to 10 celcius nightly here now and it is nice to watch a cozy fire burning in the living room wood heater..

Good thing I am just a Young fella yet at 70.
    I hate to think of how hard it would be to split and pile that much wood in two days if I ever get old
    Had a good helper though . My wife helped with the piling.
    This is the first year that I have not gone up in the bush and got my firewood.
    Just been too busy with other things.
    W.Y.

Leave a comment:

• SharonW0111
    replied
    That is enough wood to last 10 years in this part of the country.
    Sharon

Leave a comment:

• CJoZ
    replied
    What's that white stuff all over it?? lol

Leave a comment:

• William Young (SE BC)
    replied
    That's hillarious Carl

bearfretworks;
    10 to 12 cords to make it through the winter? Are you referring to face cords ? as in 4' x 8' x16 inches or box (or bush) cords like the three that I showed that are are 4' x 4 ' x 8' .
    With the new energy efficient airtight wood heaters they make nowadays those three cords should do me the entire heating saeson and will do it at approx one third of the cost of using propane for my furnace. There is no natural gas out here in the country and oil stoves and furnaces are practically a thing of the past around here.
    W.Y.

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    It is about time we had a woodburning thread!
    Good work!

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    You HAVE been busy! Nice stacks of wood..... your pics made me flash back to my youth......chainsaw running, double bit axe swinging, a sledge and wedges for stubborn pieces.........all to get 10-12 cords cut, split, stacked to make it thru the winter!

good job William!

Leave a comment:

• Forester21
    replied
    Boy, I don't miss those days at all!! Used to have to stack wood growing up. Now I just pay the gas bills....

Theresa

Leave a comment:

• William Young (SE BC)
    started a topic Been A Busy Beaver

Been A Busy Beaver

Here is what has kept me out of mischief for the last few days. I finaly got my winter's firewood deliverd. They dumped it off and I split and piled it.
    Little sore in the back and arms now but nothing that a couple days rest doing easy stuff in the shop won't cure...
    This is a 2+ cord pile of all white birch showing side view and end view. It is 4' wide by 16' long by over 6' high in the center.

And this 4x4x8 cord is a mixture of pine and larch and fir.
    I will probably run across some choice pieces in these piles that will be turned into scrolling and wood lathe turnings rather than firewood.

Last edited by William Young (SE BC); 10-31-2006, 01:25 PM.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rodney Brown
    Reply to Mechanical Heart
    by Rodney Brown
    Great job, Brad. Thanks for posting a pic. Alex Fox has some great patterns.
    Today, 03:03 PM
  • garryatpa
    Reply to What should I use?
    by garryatpa
    I use water based varathane to finish my white birch. The water based finish does not seem to change the white color of the birch whereas if I use a varathene oil based finish the wood turns what I call a honey color.
    Garry
    Today, 03:02 PM
  • Rodney Brown
    Reply to Greetings again...
    by Rodney Brown
    Welcome back Brad. Don't forget, ask question if you have them. The amount of knowledge on this forum is unbelievable.
    Today, 02:58 PM
  • bstark
    Reply to Wisconsin
    by bstark
    I just got back from a trip to Wisconsin (Cumberland). Mother and Father-in-law were from there. I never met my father-in-law as he passed before I was married, but I saw all his woodworking and carvings. It was part of the reason I got into woodworking... seeing those family treasures and wanting to...
    Today, 02:30 PM
  • bstark
    Mechanical Heart
    by bstark
    This is the first compound thing I have ever cut on a scrollsaw. I see a lot of pieces like this that are just laser cut, but what is the fun of that! =) I also purchased the mechanical horse and butterfly patterns. In hindsight, I should have stack cut this because 1/4 inch plywood isn't the easiest...
    Today, 02:14 PM
Working...
X